AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reconfiged an Milled Mak 90 of mine. Ironwood stockset. It went together fairly easy. Alittle fitting but It looks great. A + 1 for Ironwood stocks. I believe I got the walnut set. It's a nice Rite dye red now with 4 coats of Real 100% Tung oil.
My Mak while nearly NIB had thin areas of blueing. I got some OXPHO Blue from Brownells and went over the complete rifle. It turned out very nice and a good dark blueing color. It is a very good product that even claims light oil and light rust need not be removed. I have used this twice now and it gets a very big +++ 1 ..
Last but not least I ordered an AK USA Rommie 74 22 pitch thread break from Chris .....$75 shipped. But only act in town for one of these 22 thread breaks... It was expensive but let me tell you it is TOP KNOTCH done. Chromed and paint. No complaints. Chris did an outstanding job on these. This going on a SAR 2 that Troy at Inrange has of mine as we speak. Im just getting her into shape .
I got the Rommie 74 Front site housen and plunger & spring & cross pin from KVAR. + 1 on them also. Thought I'd share...... WarDawg

G

·
would it be possable to finish a new kit build with the OXPHO Blue ?

i did a complete M44 nagant for my brother-in-law. it looked real nice. i did find out that it comes out better if the metal is warm. i also read that a 50/50 mixture of the Oxpho blue and the Oxpho paste works even better (haven't tried it yet, though).

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
How durable is it to scratching, Hoppes solvent, polish, etc?

My lever gun needs some serious refinishing.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
So where's the pics? We have to have pics, it's a Site rule ya know ... :grin:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this time all I could do is send a pic or two to one of you guys that has the ability to post them here. I have a digital camrae. If someone would like to do it , drop me your email and tommorw I will take afew pic's and email them out .If you want to drop them in on this post that would be cool. I really need to try to learn about these here computor. It really isn't my element... :confused: .. I have Oxpho blue severl pieces of metal before and it SEEMED durable anough. It's a good seller for Brownells. I still stripped the metal down and steel wooled some light rust . Yes I think warming the metal would be very benifical. I would think it would open up pores and draw it in. I did put about three applications and did the light rub with 0000 steel wool by instructions and oil afterwards with Breakfree CLP. Cheers WarDawg

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cruzie27 said:
ok heres WarDawg's pictures:

First let me Thank cruzie27 for posting these for me. Thank you......

Next the pic's arn't real good. my wife tried but was getting alot of glare .

The rifles laid out goes like this. From the top down..

#1 . ( Milled ) MAK 90
#2 InRange Bulgie 74
#3 SAR 1 Laminate
#4 SSR85B ( Polish AKM kit built on a Hungariain FEG reciever )
#5 SLR 101S ( Milled ) Arsenal
#6 InRange Rommie 47 ( G kit ) .Built on a Global Trades 1mm reciever.

#7 .. Not seen ..... LOL ..SAR 2 . At InRange being repaired. Sick little AK..

Cheers WarDawg

G

·
i have some pretty good pics of the m44 i did. i'll try and get them up tomorrow to show you guys. i got the 8oz. and did the whole m44 and a k31, and still have 1/2-1/3 left. i did 3-4 coats on them. i'm not sure on the durability, because i have't seen the m44 since i gave it to my brother-in-law last july, and i haven't even shot the k31 yet. he hasn't said anything about the finish wearing, but i'll ask the next time i talk to him.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cruzie27 said:
hey what size did you order the 4oz.,... 8oz.,.. or 16oz.?
I bought the 16oz bottle. The Cost was very little more for the larger one. Now the good thing about Blueing is when it does get worn you simply wipe some more with a cloth or cotton ball and your done. Simple as that and as quick. Cheers warDawg

G

·
I've passed several of those milled Chinese rifles up in the past but with the Ironwood stocks available I might just have to get one if the price is right.

G

·
here is a before and after comparo on a bunch of U-Fix-ems from century i got awhile back. not too bad for a rifle that cost $17.83 :grin: . sorry it took so long to get them up.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Before and after? Huh? One looks like an M-44 and the other seems to be a 91/30 in a retarded stock... different guns.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
advntrjnky said:
here is a before and after comparo on a bunch of U-Fix-ems from century i got awhile back. not too bad for a rifle that cost $17.83 :grin: . sorry it took so long to get them up.

Man I love them old C&R rifles. Folks just don't understand the attraction to them. History and old school. Thanks for shareing, WarDawg

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
nice rifles wardog.... i thru a stockset together for my mak90....just waiting to get enough $$$ for my ironwood set....what did u treat the wood with???

1 - 20 of 31 Posts