AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Maadi AKM (Century import) with pretty nice laminate furniture and was wondering.......

1) What grip would be correct for a stamped Egyptian like this? It has a black plastic one.

2) The buttstock seems a hair longer than "normal" and has a hard rubber buttplate with the Maadi "emblem" or "crest" on it and has no trapdoor for a cleaning kit. Is that correct or something "special" made for import? :confused:

TIA you Egyptian experts. Shookran! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arrrgggh! I want that folder from you!! :shock: :sad: :cool:

Thanks for half the answer Rob.............. :grin:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Re: A couple of "correct" Maadi questions please??

Tomovich said:
I have a Maadi AKM (Century import) with pretty nice laminate furniture and was wondering.......

2) The buttstock seems a hair longer than "normal" and has a hard rubber buttplate with the Maadi "emblem" or "crest" on it and has no trapdoor for a cleaning kit. Is that correct or something "special" made for import? :confused:

TIA you Egyptian experts. Shookran! :mrgreen:
The answer to your second question is yes, it was something made "special" for import.

The Steyr Maadi and other earlier Maadi rifles had a normal AKM metal buttplate w/ trap door.

The Steyr Maadis had "normal" length buttstocks. The Maadi imports after that (that I have owned or seen) came in with a longer length thumbhole buttstock. I have seen a lot of these that were converted to non-thumholes. You can usually tell by the finish & woodwork on the converted ones. I have also seen/owned non-thumbhole Maadi stocks (normal kind) that were longer than normal, but had the factory Maadi finish on them and a normal AKM buttplate. I've seen these sold separately from the rifles, but in the same time period that the rifles were imported.

The rubber buttplates w/ the Maadi symbol that I have seen have been on the later imports. I don't remember seeing the rubber buttplates on the INTRAC marked imports, but can remember seeing them on the PARS (?) marked imports. The only rubber buttplate stocks that I have seen were thumbholes or converted thumbholes.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, it sure doesn't LOOK converted but I'll go give it the once over close up. Interesting................. :confused:

I may have to strip, bleach and Egyptify a spare Romy buttstock! :shock:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys,

I looked this buttstock over closely and I see no indication of it ever having meen modified, cut and sanded, or anything like that. I'm confused now! It looks and has the lines of a regular laminated buttstock but with a solid rubber buttplate and it's a tad longer. :confused:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Tomovich said:
Guys,

I looked this buttstock over closely and I see no indication of it ever having meen modified, cut and sanded, or anything like that. I'm confused now! It looks and has the lines of a regular laminated buttstock but with a solid rubber buttplate and it's a tad longer. :confused:
They may have imported some "regular" configuration buttstocks with the rubber buttpad. It's just that I haven't seen them, which doesn't necessarily mean anything. I mean, you have one so they must exist, right? :smile:

Any way for you to post pics?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I'll do, let me post a pic or two. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe later today or in the AM.

Wait, I have one pic from far away, here's this one for right now......close ups in the AM..................the Maadi is the one all the way on the bottom.........

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Those stocks came in on the MISR SA rifles.
There were even some solid beechwood stocks in the same shape.

They are not conversions.

These are good stocks to fit a buttplate to as they are generally better than the t-hole stocks in quality.

I have done a few of these like this and they all turned out well.

Here is one that I fitted the BP to and then added the reinforcing screws for a more Russian look.
This one has a Maadi butt and lower, RUssian upper and one of my US made grips.
It is evidence that not all Maadi wood is crap.

Here is another done the same way, including a Russian upper.

Just for reference, here is a Steyr set with a Russian upper and one of my grips.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YES!!!!!!

That is what this rifle is.........a MISR SA! Excellent. I may need to make some modifications!!!! :cool:

Thanks for the info!

BTW...........nice, REALLY NICE work you do there!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I got a stock a couple months back, 1 inch longer and had the metal buttplate, same egyptian stain, I too thought it was a thumbhole conversion, but it was factory for the US market, years ago.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Here is something to ponder. Egypt has pretty much zero trees (aside from palm, scrub, and fruit), and no domestic-based lumber market that I could ever detect. They were importing lumber there 7,000 years ago. So while I don't doubt the stocks came out of the Maadi factory, I gotta think the wood came out of someplace else to start with. Maybe European-based laminate products? FSU?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The Maadi factory imported wood from Finland and Russia.

Early Maadi's actually used Russian made stocks, later on they made them in house from imported wood.
There is a marked difference in the maufacturing quality between Russian and Egyptian stocks. There is no mistaking one from the other.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I thought that I had one of those also and I do It's a MISR SA (AKM) the wood matches perfect from the buttstock & lower the uppers are always darker.
[/url]
[/img]
[/url]
[/img]

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got a shot of the buttplate of my stock that's shown in the above photos..........what do you all think??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts