AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently refurb'ing a '94 milled Norinco MAK-90 and desperately seeking a rear handguard ferrule cap. I've searched all the major parts sights and found nothing. Any suggestions or offers on your spare cap would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lopojo, thanks for the reply. Actually, I already have that exact part that came mounted on the rifle when I got it. I recently ordered new furniture from Ironwood and the new lower handguard wll require a ferrule cap. I found this one through K-Var but it's East German. I'm not exactly sure of it's dimensions. Anyone know if this part would work on a Chinese lower handguard?

The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just use the ferrule cap off the original handguard and install it in the ironwood handguard.
Thanks for the reply, crowak. Unfortunately, the original lower handguard that came with the rifle never had a ferrule cap installed. Instead, the portion of the handguard where the ferrule cap is intended to fit was painted gloss black to simulate the look of the ferrule cap when installed. I ordered the East German part from K-Var and hoping that it's dimensions are close enough to the original Chinese ferrule cap to fit properly, or at least be easily modified. For $10 I figured it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
lopojo, thanks for the reply. Actually, I already have that exact part that came mounted on the rifle when I got it. I recently ordered new furniture from Ironwood and the new lower handguard wll require a ferrule cap. I found this one through K-Var but it's East German. I'm not exactly sure of it's dimensions. Anyone know if this part would work on a Chinese lower handguard?

The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...
Yes. It fits on my Ironwood 400 stock set for a milled 93 MAK90. It is slightly different than the original Chinese version but the differences are not visible when installed. In the photos it is not fully installed ...still haven't finished the stock yet. I'm thinking about Zinsser amber shellac??

Ed
IMG_1740 (Medium).JPG IMG_1741 (Medium).JPG IMG_1742 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply edorfox. Your pics looks great. In fact, just today I received the East German ferrule cap I ordered from K-Var. I haven't yet received my new Ironwood lower handguard but I think this part is going to work just fine. Looks like yours fits without any real issues. Good to know! As for my '94 milled MAK90, I Duracoat'ed it today with a rich looking matte black color. It'll need to cure for a month but I can already tell that it's going to look great. As for my furniture, I chose laminated birch for the stock and lower handguard and will go with a satin black stain. I'll be mounting a Magpul AK MOE grip and have chosen to go with an Ultimak upper rail. As you can tell, I'm a bit less of a traditionalist. I love the classic Chicom standards but decided to go with a modern look for this project. Either way, I'm excited to get it all put together and back in firing condition! Thanks again & good luck with your project!

·
Registered
28 Posts
zinsser amber shellac with just a TOUCH of brown rit dye. matches original perfectly.
Wow! That Zinsser amber shellac is awesome stuff! It goes on smooth and dries sandable within an hour. Here are my AK's, the spiker in the middle is all original Chu wood and the one below is the re-constituted MAK 90 wearing Ironwood's Afromosia #400 stock set. The match is incredible! (I didn't use any rit brown although I had it on hand.)
SG7, I have to apologize, the handguard rear ferrule I got was from Robertrtg.com. I bought it as installed on a Polish handguard. I got confused with all the searching I was doing trying to find one.
Here is the proof pic...

Ed

AK Attack 4 (Large).JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"SG7, I have to apologize, the handguard rear ferrule I got was from Robertrtg.com. I bought it as installed on a Polish handguard. I got confused with all the searching I was doing trying to find one.
Here is the proof pic..."

No worries, Ed. That's quite a collection you've got going there! That milled MAK is especially sweet. Thanks for the heads-up on Robertrtg.com. That's a good source for me to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nice Rifle. I'm doing the same to mine. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

Why did you change hand guards?
Did you put any coating on after the stain?
When you say "touch of brown rit dye". How much would you put in a quart can?

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice Rifle. I'm doing the same to mine. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

Why did you change hand guards?
Did you put any coating on after the stain?
When you say "touch of brown rit dye". How much would you put in a quart can?

Thanks

Jim
I just add 2-3 mL of brown rit dye to a half cup of zinsser amber shellac. Stir. Then brush on to wood in thin coats to get the darkness you want.

I changed handguards because the originals werent cut for an underfolding bayonet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts