AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I searched the title term and came up with two threads....neither of which gave me the guidelines I'm looking for.

I'm new to AK/VZ rifles....I bought my first VZ a few months ago and I'm in love with the reliability and the 7.62x39 round.

I want to modify a VZ, but I'm unsure about what constitutes legal modification with 922r compliance.

I have a CAI VZ-2008....that many builders won't modify so I'm looking at getting a D-Technik built VZ so I can have it SBR'd after receiving my approved form 1 and tax stamp.

However, I know the VZs that are sold by Czechpoint cannot use surplus mags with the steel floor plate b/c of 922r compliance nor can I swap in a steel trigger.

If I add a USA made compensator, I assume that counts as one US made part. If I modify certain things, like welding parts to the factory folding stock, and stamp it "USA" does that count?

If I stipple the grip, is that enough of a mod to count as a USA part?

In short, I'm looking for the guidelines and rules for 922r compliance. My main goal is to be able to use surplus mags and put a steel trigger in the gun.

Any help you can give me in finding out what forum to search in for these guidelines is greatly appreciated. I'll also do a google search and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your time,
Sean

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Schultz said:

Thanks...

Some text I found as well....

922r

"Title 18 U.S.C., Chapter 44, Section 922 (r) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes."

This statute was actually put in place about 1990, but got little notice. With the 1994 ban, it got big press when the BATF began putting manufacturers on strict compliance notice. The same notice holds true for individuals doing their own conversion work.

The 922r language presented a list of 20 parts that applied to ALL semi-automatic assault rifles (not just the AK-47 series) made from imported parts sets or kits. For the AK-47, 16 parts apply. The following is a list of those parts, also referred to as "compliance parts."

1. Barrel
2. Receiver
3. Front and Rear Trunions (Applies to stamped receivers only)
4. Bolt Carrier
5. Bolt
6. Gas Piston
7. Buttstock
8. Pistol Grip
9. Upper and Lower Handguards (Both count as 1 part)
10. Muzzle Device
11. Hammer
12. Trigger
13. Disconnector
14. Magazine Body
15. Magazine Follower
16. Magazine Floorplate

You may choose replacement parts from the list as desired. The point being that a maximum of 10 imported parts from this list may be used to build an AK rifle. The bottom line is that you must use 6 US made parts from the above list to assemble a stamped steel AK and 5 US made parts for a milled receiver. Since you are not looking to do a total rebuild of your AK, you will likely choose the smaller parts. But, if you ever wanted to do a complete build from a parts set, you would be able to replace all the parts on the list with US made parts save the bolt carrier, bolt, trunions, and possibly the barrel. US made barrels are available for several AK builds, but not all.

· Registered
1,243 Posts
stippling a grip will not make it a compliance part, nor will welding on a stock. Member "obiwanbonjovi" makes a usa made trigger parts you can swap out for compliance. you can also get us made furniture and pistons to meet compliance.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
btr said:
Don't know if you want to do this, but chechpoint does sell USA followers and floorplates you can put in a steel surplus mag.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/ ... es/?list=6

Their USA followers and floor plates are polymer though...I'd like to keep the steel ones that come in the surplus mags. But thanks for posting the idea.

Sean

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jk-47 said:
stippling a grip will not make it a compliance part, nor will welding on a stock. Member "obiwanbonjovi" makes a usa made trigger parts you can swap out for compliance. you can also get us made furniture and pistons to meet compliance.

Ya, I figured the grip wouldn't be enough to constitute a compliance part. I did kinda hope the stock change would be significant enought to qualify though.

Good to know on 'obiwanbonjovi'....do you know off the top of your head: Are his parts steel?

As for furniture....the only aftermarket pistol grip I know of is the Fab Defense....from Israel. Do you know of another mfg that I could do a search on for VZ furniture?

Found this: http://www.lichtenbergresearch.com/part ... lgrip.html

and this: http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/product ... P-BLK.html

But, is "Mako" a brand that's made in the USA? Seems like they're based in NY.

Here's my current VZ-2008 (with the welded/modded stock):

Thanks for all the help guys.

Sean

Thanks,
Sean

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jk-47 said:

What about the bbl itself? If it's cut down from the original length to SBR length....does that make the bbl itself compliant since the modification necessary was done in the US?

I'm grasping at straws here, aren't I? :D

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Sean K. said:
[quote="jk-47":1p46et3h]stippling a grip will not make it a compliance part, nor will welding on a stock. Member "obiwanbonjovi" makes a usa made trigger parts you can swap out for compliance. you can also get us made furniture and pistons to meet compliance.

What about the bbl itself? If it's cut down from the original length to SBR length....does that make the bbl itself compliant since the modification necessary was done in the US?

I'm grasping at straws here, aren't I? :D[/quote:1p46et3h]

It is a moot point. You have a Century gun, the barrel is a US made (not VZ correct) Green Mountain barrel. The receiver is also US made, and the fire control group SHOULD be US made as well.

It should be compliant to use with foreign mags if it is a Century made rifle, SHOULD. Doesn't the manual list the compliance parts?

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Q-gunner2 said:
[quote="Sean K.":20hlhijc][quote="jk-47":20hlhijc]stippling a grip will not make it a compliance part, nor will welding on a stock. Member "obiwanbonjovi" makes a usa made trigger parts you can swap out for compliance. you can also get us made furniture and pistons to meet compliance.

I'm grasping at straws here, aren't I? :D[/quote:20hlhijc]

It is a moot point. You have a Century gun, the barrel is a US made (not VZ correct) Green Mountain barrel. The receiver is also US made, and the fire control group SHOULD be US made as well.

It should be compliant to use with foreign mags if it is a Century made rifle, SHOULD. Doesn't the manual list the compliance parts?[/quote:20hlhijc]

Agreed...the Century would be fine...but I am (well, was) having trouble finding a smith that would touch a Century so I was going to get a D-Technik. I just found one that says he'll SBR the Century....since I've put about 1K rounds through it and it's been 100% reliable.

However, that said, I'm still considering the D-Technik to buy and build for this project. I bought the Century as a cheap 'truck gun' since I didn't want to use my SBR XCR or LWRCs for that purpose b/c of the cost of those rifles. Since the cost of a tax stamp, plus the legality issues of leaving an NFA item in a vehicle are what they are, I'm not sure I would use this SBR project for that purpose either....which means, I don't mind spending a little more money to get a higher quality rifle to start from. What I would like to avoid though is 922r complications especially with regards to the mags.

Sean

· Registered
11,464 Posts
You don't save any hassle going to a SBR, as short-barreled rifles must follow 922(r) as well.

But if you personally feel it is a higher quality firearm, it may be worth it to invest in a US made fire control group, piston, and muzzle device.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Q-gunner2 said:
You don't save any hassle going to a SBR, as short-barreled rifles must follow 922(r) as well.

But if you personally feel it is a higher quality firearm, it may be worth it to invest in a US made fire control group, piston, and muzzle device.

I think I'm misunderstanding you....

I thought I would save a hassle SBRing the Century VZ b/c it can already take surplus (all metal) mags and already has a steel FCG. Is this NOT correct?

What about the Green Mountain bbls.....I heard they aren't chrome lined. Do you know if that's true?

Thanks for all your very good points.

Sean

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Green Mountain offers chrome lining, but Century did not request chrome lining on the barrels they ordered for their AKs/VZ-58s.

SBRs still must follow 922(r) guidelines, you need US parts on a SBR just like any other rifle. So it doesn't avoid 922(r) hassle, and I bring that up because you mentioned buying a new Czechpoint VZ-58 and not using the Century rifle. If you just want it as an SBR though, that is your call.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
As long as the FCG stays US made you can use whatever mags/furniture/muzzle devices that you want. You need 5 US parts on that thing. Your barrel and receiver are 2 parts and your FCG is 3 parts.

Like others have said obiwanbonjovi's metal FCGs are nice, the vz I just built has one in it and 120 rounds were just fired through it without a hitch.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sean K. said:
[quote="Q-gunner2":m2h4d8xi]Aren't VZ-58 mags and parts made of aluminum, not steel?
They are a steel alloy from what I understand, not aluminum....but I haven't tried a magnet on mine. I'll have to give it a test tonight.

Sean[/quote:m2h4d8xi]

I tried a magnet....you were right...it's aluminum.

Sean

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heimdal said:
As long as the FCG stays US made you can use whatever mags/furniture/muzzle devices that you want. You need 5 US parts on that thing. Your barrel and receiver are 2 parts and your FCG is 3 parts.

Like others have said obiwanbonjovi's metal FCGs are nice, the vz I just built has one in it and 120 rounds were just fired through it without a hitch.

Thanks for the tip again on obiwanbonjovi....I just PM'd him about the FCG.

Thanks again guys. You've been really, really helpful.

:grin:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.