AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my first 91/30 today and have some questions:

The receiver has no markings except an import mark. The magazine floorplate, bolt, buttplate, and barrel are matching serials. They are stamped with a leading Cyrillic character. The Izhevsk arrow-triangle marking exists on a number of parts. However, there are no soviet seals or crowns anywhere; just the arsenal mark.

Are the markings just not deeply stamped? Wartime production and they skipped some stamps? What's the deal?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Post some pix. What year receiver? If it's mid-30s look for a faint "Made in USSR" or "Made in URRS" stamp, that would fix it as a Spanish Civil War rifle; no hammer & sickle on those.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
There should be an arsenal mark and an assembly year on the underside of the receiver tang. You'll have to remove it from the stock to see it, though.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Receiver is round, I'll try and get pics if I can get some decent weather (camera doesn't take good pics under artificial light).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Who was the importer? This may tell you a lot about when it was imported. I find it hard to believe that a rifle would get out of a recent importer without a serial number.

I have seen a Remington-made 1891, dated 1918, with no serial number.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Importer mark on the left side of the receiver, PW Arms and a serial number they stamped on it. I was going to try to get the receiver out of the stock but the barrel bands are on there pretty tight and I didn't want to risk damaging the stock trying to get the bands off.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
Have you been over it with a strong light and/or magnifying lens ( if your eyes are bad like mine) to see if there's any evidence left of scrubbed markings?

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's no scrubbed markings from what I can tell - the right side of the barrel shank has a couple stampings but that's it.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The springs retract pretty easily but the bands won't budge, almost like they're glued in. I'll see if I can finesse them off when I get home tonight - I may have to open them up a bit.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
If the springs retract easy but the bands wont budge then the wood might be pushing out enough to hold those bands tightly. Try gripping the wood by the front band and squeezing the wood. Or rap a paper towel around and use a zip tie or something similar. That should release enough presure for them to move. Could also just be years of crud caked in there

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gotcha, will give that a try this evening.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was able to get the bands off finally, but there were no numbers on the receiver tang, just the Izhevsk arsenal mark. The underside of the barrel shank has a small, weak stamp that looks like a circle with crossed swords with the arsenal mark above it. The stock has a 1 stamped near the rear barrel band and a 2 right in front of the magazine. Concentric '00' partially stamped on the right side of the barrel shank along with a square symbol behind it.

Hoping to get clearer weather soon to get pics of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts