AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a box of Mitchells Mauser 8mm for my k98. On the back of the box it says "Should only be used in rifles with a 0.323" bore. Do not use in older rifles with a 0.318" bore. Is it ok to use this stuff in my 1944 mauser? And what rifle has the 0.318" bore?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
hackbenjamin said:
I bought a box of Mitchells Mauser 8mm for my k98. On the back of the box it says "Should only be used in rifles with a 0.323" bore. Do not use in older rifles with a 0.318" bore. Is it ok to use this stuff in my 1944 mauser? And what rifle has the 0.318" bore?

If your Mauser was made in 1944, yes, it is safe.

Really early 8mm Mauser rifles had a smaller diameter bore... to be honest, I have no clue why.

·
Registered
107 Posts
hackbenjamin said:
Some of the early rifles were .318. Anything you buy today unless it is something out of an old collection will be .323. All the M-48's, Turks, 24/47s, 98K's, 24's out there sold as C&R are .323 unless the seller says different. Although; I still slug every Mauser I buy just in case. All mine, and that is about twenty or more have all slugged out to .323 plus or minus a thousandth or so. By the way, the ammo you bought from Mitchell's is PRVI. You are way ahead of the game getting it from AIM, same stuff, WAY cheaper.
Here:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_8mm.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I thought it would be safe to shoot...buuut I didnt want an 8x10 of my reconstructive surgery framed up on the Fail Wall of the Darwin museum's 2nd floor mens bathroom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts