AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took about a year, but the whole shebang is just about ready to go.

Rguns kit on a 74U LLC receiver, assembled by Turbothis. Older vent-hole handguards, with a matching wooden pistol grip (yes, I know, but I like the wood!)

The paint is Alumahyde. A couple of matte base coats, with a semi-gloss coating over the top, then brushed lightly with 0000 steel wool to knock the shine off. The match to the other parts is pretty good, but i takes a LOOONG time to cure. I'm 2.5 weeks into curing time, but I probably should have given it another week (I'm lifting the selector lever up off the receiver when I change it to keep it from scratching the receiver paint just to be sure).



 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
1,092 Posts
Looks Awesome!

Im still trying to match up the factory finish with different combinations of duracoat... still havent got there...

Congrats on the Suchka!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Panzer said:
So I'm trying the technique you did, how long did you let it cure before you hit it with steel wool?

I let it sit for two weeks before I lightly went over it with steel wool. I think once the surface has dried, it should be good for a brush down.

I'll try to get some closer pics tomorrow if the sun will stay out. The matte and semi-gloss combo turned out a reasonably good match color/texture-wise for the stock and trunnion, but my top cover is a shade darker than the other parts in my kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics; I tried to get some that would show the texturing that I think resulted from the matte layers. It's a pretty good match IMO, and I like that it is Alumahyde tough. Also, the buffing leaves a cool semi-gloss contrast effect in the selector stamps, though you can't see 'em that well in the pics.







 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top