AK Rifles banner

83 Izzy AKS-74N

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  techno 
#1 · (Edited)
Because one of the members of this board is a pain in the butt. I can’t believe I am using a Riggs receiver for a postie.

But, it will be fu*kin awesome.

I use the laser for all “drilling” including the sear slot on machine guns and FCG holes on everything. This took some time to set up but it makes for perfect locating of holes. A good fiber laser is worth it If you are doing a lot of builds. During COVID and the riots it paid for itself.

The slot is perfect every time and there are no Dremel nicks or scars on your receiver.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Remember kids don’t try this at home unless you are an 07/02. Jail time awaits.

Since this has a rail on it I won’t be able to use Mr. Forbus’s tool. That sucks. I can’t remember the last post sample I built without the aid of Mr. Forbus. Actually, I can’t remember the last AK period I built without his tools. They are pricy but damn they make things easy.

This is the sear slot remnant.

Use a reamer. Trust me on this.

If you have a locating tool for the trigger group holes it‘s easy. If not it can be a pain in the butt. I cheat and have a mark on the receiver that I use as a standardized starting point, then use the laser to burn starter holes. And yes, a reamer to finish. I push the pins through to check the orientation. They should go in with no binding. If you have binding now, you WILL have a hard time installing the FCG components. This one is perfect.

Yes, I am leaving out the rate reducer. I usually start with no reducer and check the gas system. This is for 2 reasons, one I like to see how fast the cyclic rate is, and 2 it’s a great comparison of controllability with the reducer in and out. Yes, this is a Tula AKS-74U spacer. They still call it a rate reducer in the AKSU but it does nothing to slow the weapon down.

#12 ·
Me? OCD? You have no idea!

I keep a folder for every weapon in inventory (as well as my Bound Books). Red folder for NFA, white folder for Title 1. I keep pictures of both sides of the firearm and close ups of engraving and serial number. I keep receipts, extra copies of 4473’s, tracking info to and from me, and any other relevant info. It all is also saved digitally offsite. The digital folder usually has 20+ photos. I also hide QR codes on NFA items if possible lest they go missing or someone decides to try to obliterate the serno. Most gansta’s are too stoopid to know what info is on a QR.

My parts kits and parts inventory are all inline and exactly where they need to be.

And of course the drawers themselves need organizing.

Note the mags underneath, all in order and individually packaged. The top is off because I had to get a mag to put into the build from above. This tote is all AK-74 Izzy. I only have 45 round mags in my Range Mag drawer. I hate reloading.

Me OCD? Yeah, ok, maybe just a little.

#20 ·
Hero is just a kit that is perfect. I can’t steal parts from it and I can’t sell it. So many of the RGuns kits were mixmatched as you probably recall. A few of them were perfect, some were ”hand select” and most were mixed up. Doug (Tantal) was good enough to grade all of the kits I had back then. So when he said they were perfect, they got a “Hero”. He taught me so much about this stuff. He is sorely missed around here.

#27 ·
There was a lot of good info back then unfortunately I was in the “as long as it goes bang” crowd I was happy. Now after getting Izzy kits that weren’t correct. I’ve learned to enjoy learning all the little details of each manufacturer and the difference between each year. Man, what a rabbit hole it is! Lol. I guess the hunt is part of the fun too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.