AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have officially put about 800 rounds through my 1968 radom factory Polish AKM since last spring. While cleaning after shooting today I noticed a little bit of off color after finishing up at the crown of my barrel. Barrel is 4140 Nitride coated from arms of america. Is this kind of wear normal at this round count? How many rounds do you think I can get before the barrels shot out?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Really can't see anything in your pics. Discoloring at the crown could just be carbon. Don't know if heat will affect the color of a nitrided barrel. I wouldn't worry.

·
Premium Member
13,570 Posts
Hard to tell exactly from your pics. If a yellow tint, copper build up is present and can be easily removed with solvent and a few minutes of soaking.

The chipping I do see can be from aggressive cleaning and contact with metal, brushes, jag, mop, etc. If so, clean from breech only and go slow
to avoid damaging contact at the muzzle.

If your groups have not opened up or shifted, you should be alright. Keep the crown free from carbon to maintain the best accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
26,609 Posts
If your concerned with barrel wear, look for sharpness in the grooves of the barrel. If you really want to get a closer look, use a magnifying glass.

How are you cleaning your barrel after firing...a rod, or a boresnake? What type of solvent, if any, are you using?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
A good rod will be brass or softer.
Aggressive cleaning with segmented G.I. rods might possibly be the worst thing you can do to a barrel. I would really recommend a brass rod that is solid (unsegmented) in order to limit any possible damage.
Boresnakes are good, just say a little prayer and hope you never snap one off inside the bore. You can inspect them regularly and prevent that from happening.
There are specific cleaners to use to clean the residue from the projectiles that remain inside the bore "Sweets 7.62" I believe is one of the more popular ones.

To be honest, I think you might be getting a bit paranoid (not a hit on you at all) you're just perhaps over cleaning. Relax, this isn't a white glove thing, knock the big stuff out and run some patches through until they are coming out clean. Another patch with some oil and wipe it down.
The most damage I saw on weapons in my decades in the Military and as a Contractor were to weapons that were cleaned improperly or parts were lost when someone went out of the level.
In this case a good job is far better than an attempt at perfection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts