21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Also, I do not believe Tula ever switched to 22mm on the AKM, just Izzy

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Great looking kit! I've said this many times before, but I prefer the Polish barrels myself. However, I have used the Romanian barrels, and they are fine barrels for a Russian build also.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I might have an oversized polish barrel.

Fucking a, that kit is something I’d be interested in. If anyone has an extra let me know!!!

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So not to go too far off topic but I have always heard great things about the Polish barrels but I have never used one. @corpsman5 what differences did you find with the Polish vs. Romy? I’d love to have some and use them in future builds.

·
Registered
139 Posts
So not to go too far off topic but I have always heard great things about the Polish barrels but I have never used one. @corpsman5 what differences did you find with the Polish vs. Romy? I’d love to have some and use them in future builds.
If im going for a shooter or am not concerned with historical accuracy, I use the Polish barrels. New production Romy are hit or miss on quality. Threads may be off. Bore may be off axis. Sloppy rifling causing accuracy issues. The new Polish barrels are consistent in production and are finer machined than Romy. They have a broader/thicker chrome application, concentric barrels.
The profiles are different as well. Left to right, old profile production Romy, Polish, and old Romy (1986). I left my new centerfire barrels at the office or I'd post pics of them for comparison.

Note the feed ramp on the Polish and full circumference of chrome. Also the recess around the edge of the Romy. The Romy muzzle is concave vs the nearly flat FB. The handguard retainer keyseats of the polish have a rounded termination produced by an endmilling cutter and not the washout termination produced by a disk cutter. The breech journal of the Polish barrel has a slight taper.
Automotive tire Tire Tread Wood Rim

Automotive tire Wood Rim Audio equipment Cylinder

Wood Office supplies Auto part Gun accessory Metal

Wood Office supplies Metal Natural material Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
83 Posts
I believe I’ve read people have found their Polish barrels to be slightly larger in journal size than a standard, #2 Romanian barrel. It isn’t the difference between a #2 and a #3, but it is different. My measurements are too sloppy to accurately confirm.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Don't get me wrong... I love my Romanian stuff. But, let's be honest... the Romanian stuff isn't known for being the highest quality stuff out there. On the other hand, the Polish stuff is about as high quality as it gets. That's my number one reason for going with the Polish barrels over the Romanian ones. I haven't seen the latest from Romania, but the Polish barrels have a feed ramp cut into the bottom of the barrel at the chamber, which is covered by the chrome-lining of the bore. I like that little feature. I'm sure that the Romy barrels are great, and would serve anyone well. It is just my experience that the Polish stuff is top-notch, and really hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
A feed ramp is good. Once you build the rifle, and it shoots true, who give's a rats ass what barrel you choose. Jesus, put your shit together and shoot it. Screw the rest of us. We'll love you the same you corpsman5. Our brother. The fact that we have a choice of barrels now is insanely good. That and we have new imports, shit is good.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
A feed ramp is good. Once you build the rifle, and it shoots true, who give's a rats ass what barrel you choose. Jesus, put your shit together and shoot it. Screw the rest of us. We'll love you the same you corpsman5. Our brother. The fact that we have a choice of barrels now is insanely good. That and we have new imports, shit is good.
?? I like to get the best product I can get, for the best price I can find. Mitchell asked what I liked about the Polish barrels vs. the Romy's. I answered. End of story. Wait a minute... are you drunk posting?

·
Registered
83 Posts
?? I like to get the best product I can get, for the best price I can find. Mitchell asked what I liked about the Polish barrels vs. the Romy's. I answered. End of story.
Idk who pissed in his Cheerios but I agree with you about the Polish barrels. They might even be a bit "too nice" for a 60s or 70s build but I'm building something to collect and shoot so I picked a Polish barrel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm rebuilding my Russians all with NOS old profile Romy barrels, some get y stamp some not, to bring them back to life as close to original issue as possible. With 1975-77 Izzys the new Romy barrels with the feed ramp work. The Polish and US barrels don't have the right profile and are too smooth. It's really noticeable to me and would drive me nuts since I've gone through so much effort to have the receiver and markings accurate, the rest of it needs to be cloned too. That's me and mine though.

Other kits; Polish, Romy, etc, get Polish barrels cause they're the best for shooting. Don't get me wrong, I'll shoot my Russians, but I'll abuse the others and not feel bad about it, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
I'm rebuilding my Russians all with NOS old profile Romy barrels, some get y stamp some not, to bring them back to life as close to original issue as possible. With 1975-77 Izzys the new Romy barrels with the feed ramp work. The Polish and US barrels don't have the right profile and are too smooth. It's really noticeable to me and would drive me nuts since I've gone through so much effort to have the receiver and markings accurate, the rest of it needs to be cloned too. That's me and mine though.

Other kits; Polish, Romy, etc, get Polish barrels cause they're the best for shooting. Don't get me wrong, I'll shoot my Russians, but I'll abuse the others and not feel bad about it, lol.

When I build a Russian kit with a Polish barrel, I park the barrel then paint over it to get rid of that smooth finish.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
?? I like to get the best product I can get, for the best price I can find. Mitchell asked what I liked about the Polish barrels vs. the Romy's. I answered. End of story. Wait a minute... are you drunk posting?
Probably. DWP. Sorry for that. Wasn't my intent. Thanks for calling me out. Seriously...

·
Registered
139 Posts
You'd think someone could/would make a barrel with the heavy lathe lines and without the feed ramp to get that old Russian/Romy aesthetic.. I mean, it's less work!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm rebuilding my Russians all with NOS old profile Romy barrels, some get y stamp some not, to bring them back to life as close to original issue as possible.
I would forego the niceties of the Polish barrel for the authencity of the NOS Romy barrels if that was an option for me. The only time I ever caught one available was for $550 on Gunbroker and I passed. Sometimes I regret that. The new Romy barrels look closer to the NOS Romy barrels than the Polish barrels do, but it's different enough that I figure it isn't worth the quality trade off because it will be a shooter. I may change my mind though, I won't be sending my kit off as soon as I thought.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would forego the niceties of the Polish barrel for the authencity of the NOS Romy barrels if that was an option for me. The only time I ever caught one available was for $550 on Gunbroker and I passed. Sometimes I regret that. The new Romy barrels look closer to the NOS Romy barrels than the Polish barrels do, but it's different enough that I figure it isn't worth the quality trade off because it will be a shooter. I may change my mind though, I won't be sending my kit off as soon as I thought.
I was fortunate enough to find several of them over the last 14 months ranging from $200-500 but nothing since the new Russian kits hit the market (except one that was a little jacked but workable). I think especially now that they are here guys are holding onto those barrels. I've been looking daily for more. I hope you find some.

The Polish are great barrels and I used them on a variety of kits. They certainly work well. I just sent off an md63 to TRA with one yesterday.

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
Polish barrels are the best available in several ways.

USA made barrels being second.

From my experience the Romy barrels are a distant third.

The FN barrels show promise but that stupid billboard right on top kills it for me.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts