AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn’t use a flash, not sure why one side looks like that. You’re right though, it looks Tula color.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
During the late era Izzy rifles, the shades of red/orange on the stocks began to vary. The buttstocks sometimes resemble the hue of a Tula, and sometimes the hand guards are so light they mimic those horrible refurb stocks, yet all original.

Nice serial number. I have only seen 75's from this batch starting with "9" so far. I probably already asked you, but is the barrel 22 or 23mm?

For folks thinking about what type of kits to buy: From a "ready to build" perspective, I value these later Izzy kits higher than the super early kits. Simply because you have a receiver option currently available that is correct. Childers polish stamping, with 6 spot welds, is perfect for pretty much a 1965-1975 Izzy AKM. You of course need to do your own selector markings on the Childers, but that can be easily accomplished with a Thor's hammer etching kit.

These late AKM's, weather Tula or Izzy, are really under appreciated as a whole!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love cast gas blocks on AKMs.

I snagged a 1973 Tula recently myself. Too early to come with a cast gb (Moka was out of later ones), but it should still make for a nice contrast with my '68 Izzy.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don’t get me lying but I believe it was 74-75. I have a PLO 72 kit that doesn’t have it and a 73 kit with a barrel stub that doesn’t have it.

Also interesting enough, no Tula up to 76 has it. (I don’t own a 77 Tula unfortunately)

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you prefer the new production Romanian barrels with the feed ramps over the Radom barrels? I guess for the more textured machining marks and barrel component size numbers?

I have always used Romy barrels but that’s just because I have some. I think the Polish barrels are really good and they seem to be easier to find. I have also used some American barrels on some post samples but I am sure the haters will crucify me for admitting to that. To be fair, they work great. Not the best profiles but functionality vs cost I give them an A+.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So the new Romy barrels will work for rebuilding the late Izzy kits as close to original as possible without an actual Russian barrel. That's great news!

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ordered several and they all mic’d at 23.05x mm so they should be GTG for MOST 75 builds. Remember, by 76 the Russians had gone to a 22mm trunnion so a qualified gunsmith is an absolute must. Of course it wouldn’t hurt at all for an earlier build for the guide to be there either. Again, the diehard guys may scream sacrilege but hey, it’s your build. These are almost perfect profiles to Russian so have at it.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts