AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
74u LLC Receiver Problems (SOLVED)

UPDATE: Well, it turns out the stock that I was using is actually the problem. The tab where it latches closed is lower than every other stock that I checked. Also, a HUGE thumbs up to David at 74u LLC for talking to me about it even though he's sick as a dog (he sounded terrible on the phone). David has a customer for life right here.

I just got my receiver from David and it looks amazing. But I'm having a few issue that I haven't had using NoDakSpud receivers. At first, when I installed the rear trunnion into the receiver only one set of holes for the rivets would line up and the holes for the latch button were offset. I tried three different Bulgarian rear trunnions and they were all the same.

I fixed that issue by lowering the rail on the rear trunnion until all of the holes lined up as they should.

Now, I'm having a new issue. Since I lowered the position of the rear trunnion, when I fold the stock it is now too low to be able to lock closed even when I try pulling up on the stock.

I measured the 74u LLC receiver and a NoDakSpud receiver and the dimensions of the holes are off between the two, with the 74u LLC receiver hacing the forward stock latch hole being higher and the rear trunnion holes being lower. Has anyone else had this problem using these receivers?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I can appreciate the problem you're up against, but I'm betting you already know there's no easy/good solution. So I guess the question I'd ask you is what do you want to have happen? I'm assuming you're either a) going to 'live with it', or b) see if Dave can get you back to the front of the line and get a new receiver sent to you (but obviously there's alot of hastle with that, including the cost of another FFL transfer).

What I'd probably do, to make things a little easier, would be to show some photos of a scale (or calipers) laid up against your Nodak receiver and this receiver so it can plainly be seen that this issue is one specific to the receiver, and not to your assembly procedures or particular parts. That might make the option b) above go a little more smoothly.

And BTW, we're assuming you're using a Bulgarian 6 degree rear hinge block (because that's what you said), and a matching 6 degree folding stock with a non-split hinge (as opposed to a 4 degree folding stock with a split cut hinge). Nodak receivers were cut for 6 degree hinge blocks, and I'm assuming Dave's are too:

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thirtycal. I figured there wouldn't be a quick fix for this, but hoped that maybe someone had come across the issue before. I'll work on a chart with measurements using calipers later on today, but the front stock latch hole is definitely higher on the 74u LLC receiver. I also found a Bulgarian rear stub that I'll use as reference. I'm 100% certain that it's not my building proceedure since I went even slower than I usually do since I wanted this to be perfect (hence why I went with a 74u LLC receiver and not NoDakSpud like I usually do). Also, I just want to point out that I'm in no way trying to knock David at all. This receiver is very nice, and I'm certain it will be the centerpiece of my rifles once I get it working correctly.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention that yes, the receiver is cut for the correct 6 degree rear trunnion.

·
Technical Advisor
16,056 Posts
I have relieved the trunnion to receiver upper rear slot and the receiver lip at the rear to adjust the trunnion fitment a few .000's to align the stock and rivet holes etc. Commbloc tolerances are not spot on and receivers can vary a bit as well..
Good that you have it worked out.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have relieved the trunnion to receiver upper rear slot and the receiver lip at the rear to adjust the trunnion fitment a few .000's to align the stock and rivet holes etc. Commbloc tolerances are not spot on and receivers can vary a bit as well..
Good that you have it worked out.
Yeah I've just never had to do that before on the multitude of builds I've done, so it was really weird. But something else I just discovered is that if I take the Bulgarian stock that doesn't latch at all and put it on any of my other AKS-74's the stock will latch closed perfectly. But luckily I have a few spare stocks laying around so it's not a big deal.

·
Technical Advisor
16,056 Posts
Well the latching is easily fixed with a punch on the tang of the stock to flatten it for the latch to catch. I have done that too on a Khyber Pass build for a 1.5mm bulged trunnion build. Whatever it takes.:) Perfection is a goal but not always a reality.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the latching is easily fixed with a punch on the tang of the stock to flatten it for the latch to catch. I have done that too on a Khyber Pass build for a 1.5mm bulged trunnion build. Whatever it takes.:) Perfection is a goal but not always a reality.
I just might end up doing that since the stock is a Bulgarian non-rolled/ribbed butt. Don't really find too many of those laying around (other than the AK-Builder Taiwan ones).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts