AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got carried away with the file and took too much off the ejector on an AK 74. GT 1.6mm receiver. The casing extracts fine but either stays in the receiver or drops right at my feet. My bad, Question is, I've heard that you can build up an ejector with a welder and then reform it. I'm not a welder so my questions are, has anybody done this? I've heard it works but only for 400 or 500 roundds and then starts mushrooming. Then I also heard that it works fine and is a permanent repair. Any knowledable advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've welded a few up. Had results both ways as for the mushrooming. A lot depend on the base(receiver) metal and rate of cooling.

Mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kalashnikox said:
I've welded a few up. Had results both ways as for the mushrooming. A lot depend on the base(receiver) metal and rate of cooling.

Mike
Well this is a GT 1.6 receiver. Can't the ejector be rehardened after a weld bead has been added? does it need to be rehardened? Don't want to scrap a bulgy 74 and GT 1.6 receiver for a 1 mm too-short ejector. I've heard tell the GT 1.6 is the best receiver out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the exact thing, I have a cheap walmart line welder and ran a crappy bead, ground it down with the dremel tool and left it. Never mushroomed and there are about 600 rds through so far.

·
Registered
133 Posts
viragos said:
Kalashnikox said:

Mike
Well this is a GT 1.6 receiver. Can't the ejector be rehardened after a weld bead has been added? does it need to be rehardened? Don't want to scrap a bulgy 74 and GT 1.6 receiver for a 1 mm too-short ejector. I've heard tell the GT 1.6 is the best receiver out there.
If you know how, you can. I don't and haven't had much luck. Tried Kasinex(sp) and had a couple snap off. I say go it, you have nothing to lose at this point.

Mike

·
Registered
186 Posts
viragos said:
Kalashnikox said:

Mike
I overfiled the ejector on my 1.6 Global '74 build too! What a coincidence. I had a machinist TIG welded a bead on the front and I filed it down to shape. The guy who TIG welded it recommeded I not harden it. After 400 rounds it shows very slight mushrooming but works perfectly.

If I were you, I'd follow my above actions except leave it a little long so it can "flatten" to the proper length.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts