AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a 7.62x54R calibre rifle with accuracy like the Rem700 or Savage 10FP?

I have a counter bored M38 thats fine for deer but over 100 yeards its not so great and it is very slow to cycle.

I've heard of the Fin M39, but at $300 is it worth the savings that you get with ammo price vs. buying a Savage 10FP?

Its odd to me that Savage doesn't sell a 7.62x51R rifle.

· Registered
480 Posts
regal said:
Its odd to me that Savage doesn't sell a 7.62x51R rifle.

Why? With cheap Mosins and PSLs, there's absolutely no market for a domestically produced rifle in that caliber, short of an SVD clone.

I'd just put the pennies aside for a savage in 7.62Nato or 30-06, but that's just me.

· Registered
889 Posts
Savage makes rifles chambered in .308 & .30-06. A Savage with both the Accustock and the Accutrigger costs the same as the older rifle with just the Accutrigger. The Accustock contains a full-length receiver bedding block. Barrels are floated. Normal off-the-shelf Remington 700s are not floated, even on the $900+ CDL's I've seen.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
If you don't mind spending the money, I would get a Finn. If you really want to go out there, get an original Moisin sniper rifle, they run around $800.

· Registered
581 Posts
JoeMomma said:
If you don't mind spending the money, I would get a Finn. If you really want to go out there, get an original Moisin sniper rifle, they run around $800.
+1. Love my Finns...Most accurate 7.62x54r rifles I've ever shot, especially with handloads.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tth_40 said:
JoeMomma said:
+1. Love my Finns...Most accurate 7.62x54r rifles I've ever shot, especially with handloads.

But there accuracy pails in comparison to a new Savage .308, thats where I'm having trouble deciding.

· Registered
1,578 Posts
I have an all matching serial number PE sniper with mount and scope. Its very accurate. With wolf gold ammo it has given me groups of 1 " at 100 yards. I have hit crows with it at 175 yards.

· Registered
1,068 Posts
the m39 is underestimated by most and probably the most underated battle rifle of it's time. i paid $219 for mine from pat burns and it's a hammer. www.gunsnammo.com

for plinking and practice i bought a shitload of bulgarian yellow tip machine gun ammo a few years ago when it was cheap. it's the 50's manufactured in the zinc sealed tins. it shoots ok, there are ftf once in a while but i got it real cheap.

last year i bought a case of barnaul 203gr soft point for hunting and it's priced pretty good. wideners used to have pics posted of this round going into a good sized tree and blowing the other side out pretty good. not scientific but impressive.

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item ... 18|830|853 $135 per 500.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
regal said:
tth_40 said:
JoeMomma said:

But there accuracy pails in comparison to a new Savage .308, thats where I'm having trouble deciding.
If your talking about a Savage sniper rifle, I would agree, but good optics are going to run you as much, if not more than the rifle.

Both the Finn, and Mosin sniper are highly collectable, and Soviet WWII sniper rifles are very easy to use compared with todays sniper rifles with high speed optics.
Believe me, if I did not have so many damn projects going on right now, I would be buying a Mosin sniper.

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe I'll just stick with my counter bored M38, I have AK's and can't think of a SHTF scenario where I would use the M38 over the AK's. Surely one day Savage will offer a 7.62x54R rifle. I wish I had bought a Finn M39 when they were $200 instead of the M38 but I didn't know about them.

Real sad thing is I used to have a K-31 that I bought in pristine condition for $100 that I lost in a divorce.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
To honest I don't think Savage or Remington will ever make a bolt rifle in 7.62x54-not enouh money in it to justify the necessary design changes required for what would be sales to what would be a very small niche group.

Your best bet would be to find and pay a gunsmith to convert a P14 Enfield bolt action or perhaps a Siamese Mauser but those would more than likely be very expensive conversions to get them to a point where they could match a Remington or a Savage in accuracy- pretty much a waste of time and money for the most part.

The most accurate and inexspensive miiltary bolt action in 7.62x54 is probably the Finnish Nagant M28, M28/30 or the M39 that I am aware of- and I don't think they come close to a Remington or Savage in the accuarcy department. Unless maybe you can find one of the Russian match rifles in that caliber. More than likely though you might just hsve to pick a rifle in another caliber to get acceptable accuarcy at distance and it would proabably be cheaper than having to pay a gunsmith to do a conversion on an existing rifle

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts

· Registered
3,373 Posts
That's a Finn 28/76. Weight isn't bad at all. They come with micrometer peep sights (target sights). While those work great on targets... you tend to lose things that are in shadow.

A run of the mill M39 will do sub 1" groups with no problem, so long as you put quality ammo in it. If you run cheap surplus mystery ammo... how accurate do you expect it to be? How accurate would you expect a Savage to be, running similiar cheap surplus mystery ammo??

There are pro's and cons to both. But I'm pretty sure you could full blast bat someone in the skull pretty good with the M39 and keep it in one piece... the Savage I'm not so sure about.

· Registered
581 Posts
If your talking about a Savage sniper rifle, I would agree, but good optics are going to run you as much, if not more than the rifle.

Both the Finn, and Mosin sniper are highly collectable, and Soviet WWII sniper rifles are very easy to use compared with todays sniper rifles with high speed optics.
Believe me, if I did not have so many damn projects going on right now, I would be buying a Mosin sniper.
+1. I've got too much going on right now, but I WILL get to that PE project some day...

· Registered
1,068 Posts
SA58 said:
That's a Finn 28/76. Weight isn't bad at all. They come with micrometer peep sights (target sights). While those work great on targets... you tend to lose things that are in shadow.

A run of the mill M39 will do sub 1" groups with no problem, so long as you put quality ammo in it. If you run cheap surplus mystery ammo... how accurate do you expect it to be? How accurate would you expect a Savage to be, running similiar cheap surplus mystery ammo??

There are pro's and cons to both. But I'm pretty sure you could full blast bat someone in the skull pretty good with the M39 and keep it in one piece... the Savage I'm not so sure about.
the m39 will butt stroke with authority, it is built like a tank. just think russian ruggedness topped off with finnish precision.

· Registered
1,578 Posts
If you want a Savage that shoots x54R why not purchase the action and stock and have a custom barrel made for it. It wouldn't take much to have a 308 or 300win rechambered for the x54R. I would imagine the bolt face on the 300 would suffice with minimal mods. Any co mpetent gunsmith could rechamber a barrel and mod it for not to terribbly much.

· Registered
1,892 Posts
Cfish:

You can rechamber most any rifle to 7.62x54 with a long enough action and a large enough bolt face-but if you want it to be anything other than a single shot rifle that requires one of the actions I mentioned above unless you want to sink a lot of money into the conversion; and I don't think there are many if any gunsmiths capable of doing this conversion w/out spending a lot of money let alone being able to pull it off. The magazine required for this is designed in a way to hold the rimmed cartridges a certain way to allow them to fit and feed properly into the magazine.

Also I guess it might be possible to rechamber a Eee Enfield SMLE/No 4 type rifle to this cartridge but not 100% on that.

SA58

I own a few M39s and have not ever got one to shoot near MOA let alone sub MOA with surplus ammo (light/Heavy ball) or new production ammo. I guess it is possible with quality ammo as you say (But I do have my doubts). What kind(s) of ammo are you getting these results with?

· Registered
3,373 Posts
Sellier & Bellot 180 gr. SP. with a 2x scout set up. I used it for hunting in several M39's, and it's always consistently performed 1" moa or less if I do my part. After the prices went up on the M39's, I stopped dragging them around the woods and started using a K-31 (wich is actually much handier) and just as accurate.

Check out some cruffler sites like gunboards or Parallax... accurate Finns are the norm. It's about free floated barrels, two stage target grade triggers and good ammunition. If you reload... even better. I know people have been reloading using .308 bullets with excellent results. I'm sure Norma would do the trick, but as we all know it's dam expensive. I've said it before, surplus ammunition won't shoot any better out of an M39 than it will out of a new production RemSavChester. Surplus, is minute of man.

This is my one of my old hunting rigs

When the Sako's got to be worth more than the B-barrels... I put the scope on the B, and relegated it to my back up rifle. I prefer the K31 for a couple reasons.. the safety is easier to manipulate with cold fingers, the ability to mount a traditional scope with a non permanent mod mount and the fact that the offset scope allows the use of iron sights. Very nice to have when the prey comes running past you at virtually point blank range. It's also a little shorter and easier to move around with. The ammo availability is a bummer though.

Also, (if it matters in a SHTF situation)... there's retail value. A new production gun will decrease in value the minute you buy it. The milsurps hold their value, and more often than not.. increase. And, like most weapons built in the '40s, they're built to last.

· Registered
3,373 Posts
regal said:
I have a counter bored M38 thats fine for deer but over 100 yeards its not so great and it is very slow to cycle.
FWIW... I saw a guy at the range shoot some dam impressive groups with hand loads out of a Polish M44 carbine. He shot a 10 shot group that was 1" wide at most, and strung out about 4" vertically. Your M38 may be a shooter with an optic and some decent ammo.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.