AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me an idea of a fair price for 1200 rounds (15 round boxes) of the Yugo surplus ammo (including the
green wooden case)? Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
The ammo search engine lists US tactical supply selling Yugo 1260 rd case for $625. Is the stuff you are looking at an open case? That could bring a lower price.

·
Banned
154 Posts
when i was buying that stuff it was between $230-250 that was about 1.5-2 years ago. I would be shocked if someone payed $625 for that. nothing special about it just old corrosive surplus berdan primed ammo. I guess its worth whatever your willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The last case I bought was about that much. Bought it about 2 yrs ago as well. Don't see it for sale much anymore.

·
Registered
271 Posts
And yes, $625 is gunbroker pricing.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
It was $199 IIRC then jumped another hundred bucks when imports went lean. Can't wait for it to come back in!

·
Registered
22,613 Posts
That is ridiculous, Yugo ammo is good ammo but not worth more then any other FMJ 7.62x39.
+1

You can get almost 3000 rounds of GT for that... AND it's non-corrosive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1

You can get almost 3000 rounds of GT for that... AND it's non-corrosive.
One of the tough lessons some Yugo ammo shooters have learned the hard way is that the Yugo brass ammo is corrosive. A friend recently found out the hard way what happens when you don't neutralize the corrosive. His once nice AK is now a rusty AK

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
22,613 Posts
One of the tough lessons some Yugo ammo shooters have learned the hard way is that the Yugo brass ammo is corrosive. A friend recently found out the hard way what happens when you don't neutralize the corrosive. His once nice AK is now a rusty AK
i meant the GT was non-corrosive.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
You don't need to "neutralize" anything. Just clean the firearm. I have never used windex, ammonia, Soapy hot water. ..etc...etc. I just use some CLP or Hopes and clean like anything else
+1.,know what you are shooting and how to clean your weapon. The cost of ignorance can be very high.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You don't need to "neutralize" anything. Just clean the firearm. I have never used windex, ammonia, Soapy hot water. ..etc...etc. I just use some CLP or Hopes and clean like anything else
This gun was cleaned with Hoppes and then oiled. The chamber, barrel and gas tube were still full of rust and starting to pit. I have heard that CLP will stop the corrosion but it appears not all cleaners will.

+1.,know what you are shooting and how to clean your weapon. The cost of ignorance can be very high.
In this case his ignorance was indeed his downfall. His once nice AK is on it's way to being better but won't be as nice as it was. He assumed because the ammo was brass cased it was non-corrosive. The lesson is there is some corrosive brass cased ammo out there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i meant the GT was non-corrosive.
I understood what you meant about GT and the quality of it. I have some GT and really like it. I will be buying more in the near future as soon as the reserve funds recover from the holidays. Some overtime dollars will soon become a case or two of GT...

·
Registered
317 Posts
This gun was cleaned with Hoppes and then oiled. The chamber, barrel and gas tube were still full of rust and starting to pit. I have heard that CLP will stop the corrosion but it appears not all cleaners will.

In this case his ignorance was indeed his downfall. His once nice AK is on it's way to being better but won't be as nice as it was. He assumed because the ammo was brass cased it was non-corrosive. The lesson is there is some corrosive brass cased ammo out there.
I've probably shot up 400 rds of that stuff lately since I've been using an indoor range lately. I just strip it, hose it off in the backyard and then let the AZ sun dry it. Lube & reassemble. No issue so far.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I believe the M67 surplus is the best 7.62X39mm ammunition I have used, but I certainly wouldn't pay any sort of premium for it. I do not know what a fair price is for it these days, but I was interested in this ammunition when it was cheap. I still have around 1000 rounds or so of it left, but all of the other 7.62X39mm ammunition I have been buying as of late is new production stuff (Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian).

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
+1., I have been shooting corrosive primed ammunition for many years. I do not use Windex, water or any Voo Doo to clean the firearm.
I field strip and do a thorough cleaning with GI or other Hoppes #9 solvent and then oil with CLP or some other oil if out of one kind. I have 6 brass cleaning rods set up with caliber specific brushes, jags etc., and plenty of patches. The investment in the rods makes cleaning fast & easy for multiple calibers..

·
Registered
406 Posts

If you're in western Washington that might also be a factor. About two years back, I fired some corrosive Romanian 8mm out of my Yugo M48 and cleaned it upon returning home with Hoppes. Hot water was poured down the barrel and dried with patches before proceeding with the normal cleaning. A few weeks later a brass brush pushed down the bore reveled it was not clean enough and rust particles poured out the muzzle. After cleaning it again, I had no further problems with corrosion but the whole experience has made me reluctant to shoot anything corrosive in an AK due to the gas system. The summer when this happened it was particularly rainy and humid so that may have been a contributing factor as evident by other metal objects in the house showing abnormal signs of corrosion.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts