AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the AIM flyer today. They are offering 900 rds of Hungarian surplus 7.62 for 90.00. Person who took my order said they had not tested it but by mfg date I should consider it mildly corrosive. They are also getting in Silver Bear FMJ or HP for 62.50 per 500 or 130.00 per 1000. They expect both the Hungarian and Silver Bear to be in next week. Said I should have my case of Hungarian by next Friday. :grin:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Thanks for the heads up,I've been hoping for some Hungarian 7.62x39!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I don't mind corrosive,I'll keep it sealed in the tin! :grin:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Mark,the SLR worked out Great.I'm getting ready to attach a sling mount to the reciever and I'm going to start working on the stock set.I'll post pics when I'm finished.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A reply to my same post on the ARFcom AK page:

Originally Posted By grizzlyarms:
i got some hungarian ammo awhile back. it's crap. about 1 in 10 rounds failed to fire. not jam. just went "click". no other ammo before or since has caused this problem. other than that it was OK accuracy.

not to mention it's dirty as hell. they coat it with some kind of black dust. it rubs off on your fingers as you load the magazine and gets all over inside the gun.

i'd rather pay the extra for anything else!!!
:shock:

I ordered a case of this stuff. Anyone else have any experience with it ?

May need to change my order to Silver Bear if the Hungarian is that bad. Thanks for any help guys.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I would like to order a case but its not listed on their web site,does anyone have a link?

Burninammo,I don't recognize the Guy you quoted.And its my understanding AIM has'nt even recieved it yet so how could he already have it.I'll take my chances! :wink:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Johno I ordered from the flyer I received by mail. Not sure about the web site. Guy who took my order said it would be in this coming Wed.

The poster from AR15.com was talking about some other Hungarian he had in the past. I did not recognize him either.

What areas do you have to concentrate on cleaning with corrosive ammo?
Barrel, bolt face and gastube/piston?

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Clean up's not bad,I just use Hoppes #9.I clean the bore,chamber area,gas tube,wipe down the bolt,carrier and piston and I also wipe down the mag follower and the top of the mag.It does'nt take long and I repeat the process the next day.

I'll give AIM a call tomorrow.Thanks for the Heads up :wink:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Southern Ohio Guns had the Hungarian stuff for sale awhile back, 1200 rounds for $90 or something like that. 300 rounds in 20 round boxes in sealed clear bags. I was close to ordering it but ended up not because I was unsure if it was corrosive or not.

JOHNO, don't you need to clean the inside of the reciever?

What about brake cleaner? If you spray that over everything, will it get rid of the salts?

Also, I have read about just spraying EVERYTHING (all the parts dissasembled) with HOT water, then drying it, then oiling and reassembling.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Its easy to clean them, even if you have bad luck.

Did you use a phosphor bronze brush and scrub hard? If that doesn't work, after that spray Outers foaming bore cleaner in the rifle and then scrub, and then clean with M.A.A.S. polish.

It is possible that you got a gun that ruined itself. If the gun had a crappy bore to begin with, then there could be salts lying under copper and lead residue, so when you clean it it allows rust to build up on previous salts. This can be cured with a steel brush (yes hard on the barrel but sometimes it is the only solution).

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Do you still have it? Even if it is rusted to heck and back I could try to salvage it for you, since you live in VA, we could meet at the next gunshow or something.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I shot lots of corrosive ammo. The first thing I do after shooting is soak a patch in Windex w/ammonia. That will neutralize the salts. Scrub with regualr bore cleaner after that.

You could spray the mag well,bolt etc with the windex, pull the stock and then stick it sink and hose it off. It might piss the wife off but then what doesn't when it comes to guns? :twisted:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I do not use the Windex method, because the ammonia that makes it effective also has a negative acidic reaction to the metal. Thats why the Windex bottle that contains ammonia is intended for GLASS and not STEEL :grin:.

Seriously, it isn't good for the gun. The reaction with the metal is minimal, but it is there, and I don't like it. Salts can't damage your bore if they aren't IN your bore.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
True there can be a reaction that is why I said clean after. In the long run the salts are worse than Windex. It is very simple to run the patch after shooting. Too many good rifle are ruined because guys forget or are too lazy to clean.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Or, you can stop the damage done by ammonia AND by salts just by using a bore brush and lubricating oil.

Brush + oil removes the salts without needing harsh ammonia or risking damage by rust.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Lubricating oil just lubricates. The salts have to be removed. The best way still remains to flush with hot water, just like it was done for nearly 200 years. The salt attracts the moisture which causes the rust. Oil will prevent but won't remove the cause. If I shoot anything that might be corrosive the rifle or pistol gets a wash.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts