AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have Acquired an 16” Diamond cut YHM Barrel in 7.62x39 and am deciding whether to trade/sell it or build it into a unique upper? At this time I’m just entertaining ideas and have hit a few mental snags

When it comes to BCG’s in 7.62x39 which works best? Been reading about extractor issues after a couple hundred rounds etc.

The other issue is whether or not I should use an fixed sight or Low Profile gas block?

Also if going Low Profile which barrel nut is best?

FWmUChD.jpg

zCyC9yE.jpg

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
In my case it was a Faxon barrel from AIM that came with a low profile gas block pinned to that barrel. Only AIM offers Faxon barrels with pinned gas blocks. Some people like Allen keys - I like pins.

I used this bolt from RTB - it also came with the enhanced firing pin. Best deal I am aware of for a 7.62x39 bolt. Out of stock for now. They do have Toolcraft 7.62x39 BCG in stock.

https://www.righttobear.com/7-62x39-AR15-Bolt-Completion-Kit-Enhanced-Firing-p/762ekit.htm

You need to check with your barrel manufacturer as to what they recommend for bolt face depth.

Reactions: Moses1986

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will have to figure out what the Barrel Depth is, as far as the carrier, will the 7.62 bolts work with a standard 5.56 Carrier?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did a ar in 7.62x 39mm, I had the project boxed, I put it together at christmas

the barrel was populated barrel nothing else. I ordered the remaining parts, I used a M-4 upper, the barrel is a plain jane, from sportsmans guide

the chamber was short as I found out after assembling the kit , utilizing a anodized 80% receiver. I do not buy receivers from FFL's , only fully assembled firearms or specialty items. I ordered a 4 d kit to ream and headspace the chamber, then used all ar-15 parts except for the bolt and mag. I finalized this just before the shanghai flu hit. This build prefers factory 7.62 like warsaw pact, tula & wolf, for some reason it does not like my reloads , but 47's do so no waste there. I just shoot factory ammo. I use the asc 10 rd mags so there are no feeding problems. This is cake for experienced builder, for a assembler it might be dauntless. as
most folks are assemblers

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Will have to figure out what the Barrel Depth is, as far as the carrier, will the 7.62 bolts work with a standard 5.56 Carrier?
Yes. I slid the RTB 7.62x39 bolt into an old 5.56 semi-auto only carrier I had laying around. Works great. RTB customer service is very good if there is an issue.

Buy two bolts - then you have a spare.

YHM is still in business. Ask them about bolt face.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I slid the RTB 7.62x39 bolt into an old 5.56 semi-auto only carrier I had laying around. Works great. RTB customer service is very good if there is an issue.

Buy two bolts - then you have a spare.

YHM is still in business. Ask them about bolt face.
YHM is closed due to the Covid 19 scare and won’t be back in operation till it all blows over:/

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
Aim Surplus has a couple BCG for $99 each. Different finishes.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys coming at you with Another 7.62x39 AR build Question, So before I go and dimple my barrel for a gas block I was wondering if I should use and Adjustable Gas Block or a Standard one? And if you all recommend an adjustable one, which ones are GTG?

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Initially I'm going to try the Faxon supplied gas block.

I've heard good things about the SLR brand gas blocks. If I decide I need one I'll probably get one.

I'm a southpaw and after firing a friend's 5.56 AR suppressed and getting my face gassed decided I need a left had upper and BCG for my 10.5" 7.62x39 upper. Stag Arms just moved so left hand parts are less available for a while. LH 7.62x39 BCG's are not available right now. I can buy a LH 55.56 BCG and a 7.62x39 LH bolt but I'd be at $300 for a BCG. I'll wait.

I did buy my Rugged R3 flash hider recently. One part at a time.

My .300 BO upper is right hand but apparently doesn't produce enough gas to bother me with subs.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Initially I'm going to try the Faxon supplied gas block.

I've heard good things about the SLR brand gas blocks. If I decide I need one I'll probably get one.

I'm a southpaw and after firing a friend's 5.56 AR suppressed and getting my face gassed decided I need a left had upper and BCG for my 10.5" 7.62x39 upper. Stag Arms just moved so left hand parts are less available for a while. LH 7.62x39 BCG's are not available right now. I can buy a LH 55.56 BCG and a 7.62x39 LH bolt but I'd be at $300 for a BCG. I'll wait.

I did buy my Rugged R3 flash hider recently. One part at a time.

My .300 BO upper is right hand but apparently doesn't produce enough gas to bother me with subs.
Southpaw here too, actually I am right handed but my right eye has terrible vision so I so I shoot with the left one. I will look at those SLR blocks, Was worried about cycling issues and Over-gassing, I figured that having the ability to adjust the gas might be a benefit.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
So before I go and dimple my barrel for a gas block I was wondering if I should use and Adjustable Gas Block or a Standard one? And if you all recommend an adjustable one, which ones are GTG?
I'd get the adjustable. Just make sure the rail height is the same as the receiver height.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ks 47 Back from paint.

Kg gunkote over kphos.

Following mods
Vg6 precision gamma brake
Odin works flashlight mount
American defense micro dot mount (I'll be using my holosun 503gu elite green dot on it)
Od green raptor charging handle
Larue mbt2s trigger
Magpul moe plus od green
Magpul ctr in od green with limbsaver pad
V5 systems velocity of green qd end plate
Battle arms development EPS take down pins
Battle arms development badass ambi safety lever od green.
Strike industries forward assist.
Spikes tactical t2 buffer
Red x enhanced firing pin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Moving ahead with this project:)

I ordered a KAK 7.62x39 BCG and a Muzzle device that I found out was the wrong threading for the barrel, so I have to figure out what threads I have? According to the Barrels YHM makes now “like mine” the muzzle threads are 5/8-24 and that’s the route I went with for the flash suppressor, Only these threads are smaller and I am unsure how to figure it out?

I also got an Adjustable Stainless block from ODIN Works but it ain’t here just yet.

Bwd8Jvl.jpg

X0GfNY6m.jpg

Ya5l4mbm.jpg

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry it was a Typo, the Muzzle Device and the barrels YHM makes now are both 5/8-24 on the Muzzle.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Can’t imagine it being anything other than 5/8x24 or 1/2x28 since those barrels were used by US SF and cut down by a US gunsmith. But I’ve been wrong before maybe once or twice :grin:
Make sure it’s got a .30 caliber hole in it or you won’t have it very long!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Might have needed to use .223 birdcages that were opened up for .30 cal.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looks like a quality part to me and unless the gas port in barrel is too small you should be able to do all the tuning you need. Including adding a suppressor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts