AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
The best I've shot is Zimbabwe. Brass cased and clean. I get great groups out of my Bulgarian and Polish AK's. I'm down to my last crate, and no more coming in.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Most accurate ammo I found was Cheetah, which is no longer available, from Zimbabwe made on Norinco machines...what I have is hoarded...
Range requires hollow point, so Wolff HP it is...

I had used lot of the Cheetah back in the mid 90's when it was around $30 for a 200 round battle pack. There is some for sale on another board right now for $125 for a battle pack.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Never had a problem with Tula. I stash Golden Tiger, and I also stash Brown Bear, but that's the first thing I shoot as I just went through the little bit of Tula have left.

MMMMMMMMMMM....Golden Tiger...its like premium gasoline for AKs. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did actually buy my first ever box of Tula at Wally this past weekend 40rd box. I've never tried it. There's a couple of downers in this thread about it, mainly why I'm asking. I'll usually buy online in bulk.
Anyways.....is the yellow box Norinco stuff something to hold onto for special occasions or bugging out compared to current issue?

·
Super Moderator
25,623 Posts
M67 ball, real Military and good for long term storage.

Reactions: TRAAK's

·
Premium Member
12,937 Posts
GT groups best with almost all of my rifles...preference all depends on what your after. low price, blasting beer cans or some tight 50/100 yard groups

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I buy the crap at Academy a lot that's remarked Monarch. I believe it's Barnaul and it's all lacquered which is why I like to get it. Otherwise, I pick up lots of lacquered case stuff I find online. I'm also not a fan of Tula. I've mostly used the .223/5.56 stuff, but I had to run it on the high gas setting on every gun I've used it in. It's weak stuff.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The one issue I ever had was with Brown Bear soft points (from sportsman's guide I think), the flash on this was noticeably bright and distracting, compared to the wolf black box stuff I had on hand. This was all shot with a bare muzzle out of the same rifle, so I feel confident it was the ammo and not some other variable.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I started using Tula ammo from wally world in 2012. No shipping fees 5 bucks a box it shoots accurate enough and way better than WPA I've shot. Probably over 3000 rounds and

only one failure to chamber.(shell would not go half way in was to wide), Poly coated and its so cheap. I can shoot 100-120 rounds in a weekend range trip and get home, hold the

barrel to the light and it still looks clean. Swab and clean anyway. Dirtiest part is always the piston tube.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have been all GT for the last few years out of my milled Arsenals, have not worried about cleaning them either just lube and shoot. I used to love to pick up the South African battle packs ten years ago but have not seen them since. Nor have I been to the 1500 gun show here in Indy where I used to get it for about 6 years either.
Yugo, Tula, Red Army, or anything American never tried it yet. Before I went to Golden Tiger I was mainly Wolf and never had issues. Norinco did not remember and S&B I only had 100 rounds and have not seen since but that is all I run through my H&K VP9.
Over the past 14 years I have owned about 40 different AK variants, fired probably at least 15 of them and never had a hiccup with 7.62x39. The other calibers were not 100% and were ammo related.

101_0862_zpskrfci0hc.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Here is some German I never shot along with a 10 round blister pack of German Steel core, the last of the Norinco 91-30 yellow box I had and Silver Bear match tip, Brown Bear soft point, and Golden Bear. The 5.45 was from first batch of Wolf that came in after the switch to polymer coating which gave my Romanian SAR2 a few FTF or FTE issues can not remember, and other was ULY 72 gr. which I only saw once and it was a very noticable difference. I would have to take my cleaning rod out when i shot it because it would fly out during rapid fire, I even bounced a round off of the cleaning rod once.
101_0869_zpsmatt32pf.jpg
101_0868_zpshmjjnzlf.jpg
101_0867_zpsvljkzib1.jpg

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Have to admit that I bought another 40rd box of Tula at Wally yesterday along with a box of 120gr 300BLK.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I don't think it really matters but I shoot mostly Wolf Military Classic. It is readily available in my area. No problems whatsoever with it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thought this was intersting:

Gives a run down of which brands are made where.
Video didn't have sound for me. :( But nice that someone put this together in this format. However, it is a little outdated since Wolf no longer works with or uses ammo from Tula. They are now using Barnaul for their Polyformance and Military Classic Lines.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Golden Tiger or one of the Barnaul varieties except for the zinc plated stuff, that goes to crap when stored for very long.
Like the Silver Bear? In what ways does it go to crap? Case deterioration or power? Just asking. I have a good bit of the stuff, haven't had it long.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts