AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rain had me penned up inside this morning. Went out to the shop and laid out my parts I've collected for my build. Got to measuring and thinking about how much trouble it was going to be to sleeve and lengthen the ppsh41 barrel. I really didn't feel like starting on that today, so I started cleaning up the shop. Found an old Ruger M77 barrel in .308 I had forgotten about and a light bulb went off. An hour on the lathe and this is the result...

Anybody got a 7.62x25 chamber reamer I can borrow?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Wow....so tell us more. I'm just an assembler of kits. How is all this gonna work? I'm really interested in this build!

·
Registered
832 Posts
go to gunco forums...there is a guy on there that has the reamer for that, good luck with your conversion looks like u got a good starting point!!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I picked up a .308 win barrel that was rechambered for 7.62x25, now I just need to decide what kit to build it on.

Keep us posted on your progress :cool:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I love conversions like this, search for "AZhonkey" for some sweet examples, and keep us posted in this thread. :cool:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have not built a gas operated 762x25 but I have done conversions for blank fire for reenactors. You will most likely need to go with a much larger gas port and/or a shorter piston. There is a lot of gas waste around the ak pistons loose fit. Ar15 762x25 conversions are sort of working and the ar gas system takes MUCH more gas to operate than the ak system. I think this is very possible to get working but will need tweeking. Whats your plan?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Getit has a clean ass build some of us got to see him play with out at tac pro. Ever get around to fine tuning that thing dude? It is more or less a krink in 7.62x25.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Using a krink gas piston and enlarged gas port. Gonna modify the tube to reduce pressure loss. Will also lighten trigger spring and recoil spring. From what I've read, most use PPSh barrels which are only 10", so doesn't hold pressure as long. My barrel is 18.5", so pressure loss will not be nearly as much problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
getit said:
go to gunco forums...there is a guy on there that has the reamer for that, good luck with your conversion looks like u got a good starting point!!
Do you have a link to this or his username? I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tyrvidar said:
Getit has a clean ass build some of us got to see him play with out at tac pro. Ever get around to fine tuning that thing dude? It is more or less a krink in 7.62x25.
no not yet....it runs pretty good(85-90%) now just seems like there is not enough time in the day to do anything but work :sad:

i am thinking another build party is in need....what do u think?

gnarly i will try to find him for ya.....i think it is panabeachbum or something close to it...think he had it

·
Registered
406 Posts
gnarlytoes said:
getit said:
Do you have a link to this or his username? I couldn't find it.
I think they use a 30 mauser reamer for the x25 cartridge that is more readly availible :goof:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered a .30 Mauser reamer Saturday. Just waiting for it to arrive.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
a-kmanator said:
I think they use a 30 mauser reamer for the x25 cartridge that is more readly availible :goof:
yep !

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally got time to beat, pry, weld, grind, and file this afternoon and evening. Still have a feed issue to work out. It tries to feed high about one out of every four rounds. But other than that, she's ready to test fire. I took a turn off the hammer spring and cut about 2" off the recoil spring. Gas port has been drilled out .205". Used a krink gas piston. Rails, carrier, and hammer have been stoned until it is slick as glass.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
That looks Evil! :twisted:

You should be ashamed. Nice Work!!

andy :wink:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
let us know how she runs in detail! I'm building a gas op 7.62x25mm as well, I'd love to hear your results with that size port.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts