AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I wanted to see the difference a hollow point would make on our AK-47's, but noone in town had any...but one place had some 123gr reloads with the Hornady V-MAX soft point bullet on them, and all I can say is... "WOW"!!!

Below is the 7.62 x 39 factory 123gr Wolf full metal jacket.

http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n408 ... =Wolf1.flv

And below is the reloaded 123gr 7.62 x 39 with the Hornady V-MAX soft point bullet.

http://s338.photobucket.com/albums/n408 ... =VMAX1.flv

Both were shot out of my AKM 47 at 25 yards and notice there is 9 shots with the wolf ammo and only one with the V-MAX...enough said!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I had a friend of mine load some hornady v-max (green tip) for deer hunting. Massive damage, probably wont use them again unless the deer is 180lbs or larger. Hole going in was about the size of your thumb, liquefied the lungs, blew out both shoulders (they were junk too, tossed them to the wolves) and the exit hole was about the size of 2 thumbs.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Very interesting informal test.

Such a huge difference,I would not have expected that much of a difference.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I did some jug testing a few weeks ago, mostly with hand gun but i did take one shot with the ak. I had 123g V-max loaded over a pulled wolf round. these are very weak compaired to the ones i load over 30g H4895.
I was testing the results of interior wall shooting, I made some walls (2 pieces of spaced drywall) and placed the jugs behind it.

7.62x39 AK
123g V-max & drywall- The first layer of drywall had only a small hole but the second had much more damage. Jacket remnants were strewn through the first 3 jugs and a piece of core was found in the 4th weighing 54.5g heres some pics

heres my walls:

piece found in 4th jug

My set up

·
Registered
306 Posts
Robpiat said:
Are the unloaded bullets available anywhere?
https://www.grafs.com/product/188871

I found a local shop that had them marked at $15 per box, so i bought them all (800). I went back to get more but now they are marked at 18 per box.

Cabelas used to sell them loaded over wolf cases but they were a little pricy.

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
I had 123g V-max loaded over a pulled wolf round. these are very weak compaired to the ones i load over 30g H4895.
Holly crap 30grains?? The ones i have loaded are 21 grains of imr 4227.. anymore than that and the start to bulge primers.

Whats the grain count for wolf?

·
Registered
306 Posts
My bad, I double checked my loads. I have some loaded over 30g H335 and others over 28g H4895. opps Guess i shouldnt quote loads from memory. I got best results from loading them a little hotter (31 & 28.5 respectivly) but they shot pretty high at 50 yards compared to factory crap so I slowed them down a bit to keep them close to factory.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
sdelam said:
krinkov762 said:
Your gyp board was 5/8"?
yes
Hmm, most interior walls use 1/2" while 5/8 is for the ceiling unless you need fire rated walls... at least that was the case when we did things back in BC...

·
Registered
306 Posts
thats what i had on hand. Didnt think it would matter much.

I got the resuts I was looking for, 9mm +p out of a G26 slowed down enough to not expand, same rounds out of a G19 had no problems, 55g v-max out of 16" AR completly came apart with only 10g of material making it to the secound jug. V-max out of an ak did come apart as expected but stayed together enough to penitrate 4 jugs.

G

·
0 Posts
Very cool experiment... Have you ever compared the heavy .223 M4 carbine loads against some of the better performing 7.62x39 rounds?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I personally would never use any ballistic tip projectiles to hunt anything larger than coyotes. Upon impact, the energy is dissapated into the tissue very quickly, this add up to very poor penetration. You need to hit a vital organ for a clean kill, massive tissue damage is fine and dandy for simply gimping the shit out of a large animal if you are into that sort of thing.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
i saw some factory loads at the gunshow today that where loaded with Vmax bullets.i should have taken a pic or bought a box of them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts