AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked it up today while shopping for the kids school clothes. This edition does have new articles, unlike the last edition.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Just checked the local grocery store and no luck, guess I need to head out to Books-A-Million....

·
Registered
833 Posts
I ordered a copy from the link above. This side of the U.S. is slow to get this stuff. :goof:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
IMHO they should reprint the article on the Chinese AK and SKS from the 2ND edition of the Assault Weapons book in one of the upcoming issues. It was fairly complete on the different variations IIRC.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The paper quality for the cover is poor this time. Mine started folding up as soon as I got it home. From the pic above, mine isn't the only one.

·
Registered
319 Posts
jcook119 said:
The paper quality for the cover is poor this time. Mine started folding up as soon as I got it home. From the pic above, mine isn't the only one.
I agree, most of the copies at the news stand had ripped corners and were curling already (from the humidity?)

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If 'humidity is a problem for it, it will cut down on normal home 'library' reading!

The shower seems to create LOTS of humidity! LOL :dance:

·
Registered
407 Posts
i just ordered one along with a copy of the new Shotgun News book.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
There is also one out with a Black cover named "AK-47 & Soviet Weapons". Articles are soso so far, but I have to admit a personal prejudice against one of the Article authors in it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I flipped through it at the local bookstore. Unlike the original "Book of", this is a cheap copy-cat packed with reviews of current-production rifles. In other words, a big advertisement like most gun rags.

There was one factory floor article that seemed interesting, but nothing of substance really jumped out otherwise.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The "GUNS and AMMO- complete book of the AK" is what the series is called that was worthwhile reading, this magazine is NOT of that series as far as it appears..

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
He is right! This mag is from the Publisher of Handsgun Magazine not Guns&Ammo.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
recon said:
Yes, that is the magazine.

ANY article from Leroy (I never met a gun I didn't like that I am reviewing) Thompson. I would have liked to have read an in depth one on the RPD, but past experiences from him cloud my judgement. Thusly I have NOT read his articles. They may be good, but I won't know. Hopefully someone without my prejudice can read them and give them an honest review.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Omega7.62 said:
The "GUNS and AMMO- complete book of the AK" is what the series is called that was worthwhile reading, this magazine is NOT of that series as far as it appears..
No, it is. Go to publisher page and it states it's from Guns & Ammo. Plus, the Editor in Chief is Eric R. Poole, who did the previous Books of the AK-47.

But I agree that this issue does not seem up to the same standards of the previous editions. Not only is the paper noticeably cheaper, but the contents are lacking as well.

As I stated, I was surprised it was published this early as the previous edition was only released in March. I am not sure if they are attempting to produce it semi-annually, for some reason I thought that was discussed in a previous issue; but if the quality is going to drop this month I would almost prefer they keep it as an annual publication and maintain the standards that were seen in the previous Books.

Cheers! M2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts