AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66 years ago the world witnessed the beginning of the end of Nazi Germany at Normandy. There were tragic, irreconcilable losses on all sides during that war. I have family that fought for Germany as well as family that served this great, free nation including both of my Grandfathers who received purple hearts in the Pacific (New Guinea with the 32nd ID and Okinawa with the 1st MD). We owe them everything. Here are a couple shots that I took when in Normandy in Summer 2008:

Omaha Beach Cemetery:

This last one was moving for me (on the left), my grandma's cousin was KIA 6/30/1944 82nd AB:

Utah Beach & Utah Beach D-Day Museum:

4th ID Monument:

Guns at Gold Beach:

· Registered
601 Posts
Today is a sacred day. May God bless the soldiers who landed on those beaches. We do, indeed, owe them everything.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
Everytime I think of D-Day I think of the opening minutes of Saving Private Ryan. The ferocity of those minutes scared the hell out of me and I was just watching a movie.

God Bless the men that actually had to go through it to preserve our freedom.

· Super Moderator
26,820 Posts
Great pics, thanks for posting those. On my next trip to Europe, I need to get down there.

· Registered
10,300 Posts
Here are pics from 4th of July, 2006; Went on a trip with my wife, her sister and a friend.

American Cemetery-

Omaha Beach-

Utah Beach (where my car was broken into)

St.Mere Elglise-

Pont du Hoc-

For June 6 1997 (actually the weekend prior) , I was able to go to Normandy for the jump...
German and American paratroopers exit from American C-130 and German C-160 aircraft (I just landed on the DZ)-

St.Mere Eglise parade-

· Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stottman, those are some great pics! It looks like you spent more time there than I did... I drove through there in one day after a vacation with my family in Brittany so we didn't spend much time there. I would have liked to get down to the actual Omaha Beach but time was short and the weather was, well, D-Day like. Typical English Channel weather......

andy

· Registered
2,916 Posts
wow...great pics guys...thank you 4 sharing.....one day i hope to walk with my son from the beaches of normandy to the heart of berlin...i want to walk every step and try to explain to my boy the importance of what went on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.