AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i crazy? i want a 50 cal anyhow, and i will have it someday, but i was just wondering what you thought about shtf? junk?

G

·
0 Posts
If you can afford it you are crazy not to buy one. Adding glass and a place to shoot is the problem. Quality ammo costs more, but will be more accurate. Almost dead-on at 1000 yards is the way to go. I have one on my list of things to buy. MV out!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mv, what model you lookin at? i was lookin at one of the cheaper barretts, m99 kit for $3400 50bmgstore.com, or a serbu bfg 50 for $2200... not sure yet but i'm gettin a hell of a tax return, so i'll be gettin somethin sweet soon!

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have the $$ and are well prepped in other areas you consider important go for it.
It would lean towards having a bug out location. It would be hard to be too mobile with the weight and bulk.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, we got a cabin 'up north' (thats what we call the wild wilderness that starts just north of minneapolis and goes all the way to the fuckin artic circle) transportation, food, ammo... we're pretty set... i want the gun anyhow, just to have, but i think its the next logical step... sometimes i get so far ahead of myself... lol

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Horrible.

The .50 is obscenely loud and has a huge muzzle flash. Forget the target 1,000 yards away, everyone else within 800 yards will be aware of you and will target you. The guns are too freakin heavy, a light single shot one weighing in at over 30 pounds. The ammo is expensive and heavy and bulky.

If you HAVE to get one, do not go with some cheap single shot. In a SHTF situation, a semi auto with some incendidary ammunition would be the way to go. The semi auto has way less recoil, as well as allowing you to double tap rounds, which would scare the living hell out of anyone who was thinking of attacking. One boom here or there may sound like a grenade up close, but a rapid fire sound with something that loud makes people not want to stay.

·
Registered
621 Posts
.50 semi with some AP rounds would do good for stopping a vehicle or vehicles at 1500 yards or farther, making plenty of time for you and yours to get set in a good defensive position and making the attackers tired and sloppy by the time they get to you

G

·
0 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Horrible.

If you HAVE to get one, do not go with some cheap single shot. In a SHTF situation, a semi auto with some incendidary ammunition would be the way to go. The semi auto has way less recoil, as well as allowing you to double tap rounds, which would scare the living hell out of anyone who was thinking of attacking. One boom here or there may sound like a grenade up close, but a rapid fire sound with something that loud makes people not want to stay.
Horrible? Depends on your situation. If you are stationary overlooking a large portion of land, a .50 would be hard to beat for long distances. Loud? Yes, but at the point you feel the need to drop 700gr projectiles on someone I don't think you care if they hear it. Double tapping and rapid fire? Oh, I thought you were being serious............ :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Four M2hb's in a quad mount, mounted ontop of my flat roof over my garage, would be nice untill that UN apache shoots me with some hellfire at over 3 miles away. I say buy a fifty there fun to shoot, i had a boyes rebarreled to 50 and it was a blast to shoot, buy it for fun because you'll never need it for SHTF purposes.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to be honest, i just want to punch a hole through an engine block. it'd be fun, plus i get the perverse pleasure of saying i've got one. war of attrition? victory through superior firepower? my old man will love it. :lol:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Yes rapid fire. The Barret semi auto is amazingly controllable on a bi-pod when shooting fast.

If you want to shoot through a car, get a Mosin Nagant and the Hungarian silver/yellow tip 182gr. stuff. My friend shot through a junkyard station wagon bumper to bumper with it.

G

·
0 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Yes rapid fire. The Barret semi auto is amazingly controllable on a bi-pod when shooting fast.
Have you ever fired a Barret .50? I have not, so maybe I am wrong. That said, a 7.62x54r Mosin is not even remotely in the same league with the barret in .50BMG. Yes, a heavy .30 can puch through some parts of cars, but it lacks the energy to do so at great distances. The .50BMG is simply capable of things the .30s are not. Period.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
THe Barrett M82A1 is very controllable from the shoulder......I've rapid fired one.

I'm not a small guy though, but it can be done.

I think the biggest detriment to a .50 BMG for use in a SHTF scenario is portability, or lack thereof....unless you have your own compound and are trying to keep people away.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd have one in my bug IN location. of course you may not be comfortable storing your rifle in a cabin but I suppose thats what safes and webcams are for. I'd love to have a base in the mountains. or better yet, a base IN the mountain.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Atl I am sure with a little work that could be managed.....Find a mountain with some good caves in it, But the land surrounding the cave.....Reinforced door on the cave...there are some good caves around the North GA area.

G

·
0 Posts
Dieter122 said:
Templar said:
THe Barrett M82A1 is very controllable from the shoulder......I've rapid fired one.

I think the biggest detriment to a .50 BMG for use in a SHTF scenario is portability, or lack thereof....unless you have your own compound and are trying to keep people away.
+1

its best for I think those who have a lot of land surrounding them (especially wide open areas/desert)...

its not something you want to use if your trying to be mobile and agile
Exactly Dieter. On an open area like a farm or ranch the .50 would be hard to beat. Mobile, it would be extremely hard to take with you, plus you would have to give up alot of essentials.

G

·
0 Posts
Dieter122 said:
Templar said:

+1

its best for I think those who have a lot of land surrounding them (especially wide open areas/desert)...

its not something you want to use if your trying to be mobile and agile
Exactly Dieter. On an open area like a farm or ranch the .50 would be hard to beat. Mobile, it would be extremely hard to take with you, plus you would have to give up alot of essentials.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.