AK Rifles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! Until now, I have only owned one AK. It is a MAK90 that I acquired back in 2001. I love the MAK. I use it all the time. I haven?t bought another firearm since. However, over the last year or more I have had a strong urge to buy another rifle. I put a lot of thought into it and for a while I almost convinced myself to buy an AR-15. But I love the AK so much that I decided on an AK-74. More specifically, I decided on an Arsenal SLR105A1R after researching and reading numerous posts on the subject. Ironically, it seemed that at the exact time I finally decided I wanted an SLR105A1R I started seeing all these posts about how the rifle has been discontinued and is getting hard to find. So I started calling and emailing around to various places, but no one had it in stock. I really thought I was screwed :sad:. Then, I saw a post on arfcom with someone else seeking the same rifle and encountering the same problems. One person graciously replied and passed on info he got from ?Templar?. There was a gun store called Degoff?s in Virginia that might have some more in stock. So I called and they did indeed have it in stock!!! So I immediately ordered it and then found a local FFL to do the transfer.

I ordered on 1/24/06 and was able to pick up the rifle the other day 2/7/06. I have to say it is absolutely beautiful! It feels so great when holding it. No complaints at all. However, I can tell the finish is not that great and will rub/scratch off easily. But I had expected that after reading about the rifle. Oh, and I also ordered 3,000 rounds of ammo the same day I ordered the rifle. SG should be shipping it in about a week.

I am very satisfied with the purchase and I look forward to shooting the rifle. I ended up paying $620 (w/shipping) + $20 (FFL transfer) = $640 for NIB SLR105A1R!!! And then another $300 (w/shipping) for the 3K of ammo. All said I think it was a very fair deal.

P.S. A BIG THANKS to you senior members from the arfcom board on the AK side. I rarely posted, but I was always reading. It?s your helpful comments and fantastic attitude that contributes greatly to the allure of the ?Dark Side?. I?m sure this new site will continue with the friendliness and great attitude. The future is looking very ?Dark? indeed :twisted:

Now for the Pics.

Inner box was crap. But it was packed just fine within another box.

Rifle, 30-rd mag, sling, oil bottle, cleaning attachments, manual, and certificate.

I remembered that I had an AK bayonet and tried to see if it would fit. It was perfect!

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Welcome to the Site and Congrats on a great AK!I love my 105 :grin:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Templar said:
Glad the boys could hook you up.

:twisted:

Yes, a special thanks to you Templar. You didn't realize it, but it was your info that indirectly helped me! :hail:

P.S. I love the signature. I just saw 'The Beast' so now I know what it refers to :mrgreen:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Congrats. I love mine - after buying a bunch of kits and waiting for them to be built, I just had to have something to shoot. I bought one without know much about them......sometimes you get lucky I guess. :goof:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congrats on the new AK. Always good to see another 5.45mm AK owner.

G

·
0 Posts
Nice rifle. Hopefully SG will get the damn ammo in all of us have been waiting on. I've got enough for awhile.

I think you will really enjoy that rifle and will have fun shooting it out on your families property there in GA. Post a range report when you have a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mak said:
Nice rifle. Hopefully SG will get the damn ammo in all of us have been waiting on. I've got enough for awhile.

I think you will really enjoy that rifle and will have fun shooting it out on your families property there in GA. Post a range report when you have a chance to shoot it.

Ha! Good memory on remembering that I have the family property (200 acres of forest property all to myself :grin:). I will absolutely be making a trip out there as soon as I get some ammo. I can't wait to shoot this rifle! I will definitely post a range report afterwards.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
predator86 said:
I suggest picking up some extra mags. Ohio rapid fire has a great deal on them 12 for $40.

Yep, thanks for the advice. Funny thing is that I already did this! :grin: I bought those mags from ORF awhile ago before I even decided to buy an AK-74. It was the first time I ever bought equipment I didn't need. I guess it was just meant to be for me to own an AK-74!!! :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts