AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was going to call it the "nickel review" because that is all it is worth, but Rubles seemed more fitting. Anyhow, on to the review...

Having got "kit fever" and also recently having purchased a CAI Yugo underfolder and beign very pleased with it, I decided to buy a few parts kits from Centerfire. I purchased two stamped Yugo M70B1 "dark bore" kits and added on two of the $20 Sumoi SMG kits (for those of you not familiar, Centerfire will allow you to add a Suomi kit for $20 for evey kit you buy at regular price. For $20 it seemed worth the risk!)

The kits just showed up tonight. After unwrapping and a decent cleaning of the bores (necessary with any parts kit IMHO) here is waht I found:

Yugo kit #1: This kit looked nice from the outside, maybe 80% finish remaining, muzzle brake and cleanning rod included. The front trunion has the "Zastava" stamping on the left side, and below that a serial number and the stamp "1982 M70B1." Wood was in excellent coniditon with the exception of a deep gouge on the top of the upper handguard, but no rattle to anything. All parts were matching numbers including gas tube, and an additional serial number was electro-penciled along with two letters under the front site (Possibly a soldiers ID of some sort?). The bore got a good cleaning and after the sludge was removed, the bore, althoguh dark, showed strong rifling, and passed the muzzle test, although with les than 1/8" of bullet showing. The carrier and bolt had lots of brownish patches. There were no serious signs of corrision besides the bore. Obviously the guy who carried this rifle didn't care much about cleaning it.

Yugo Kit #2. When opened, I was a bit disappointed. The muzzle brake and cealning rod were missing, the finish was at best 50%, and the lower handguard was loose, although the wood showed no serious gouges. All parts matched including gas tube. It had the typical Zastava stamping on the left side fo the front trunion, but serial number was listed on the lower right side of the trunion on this kit. The bore, however, was a nice suprise. Two patches later it shows some very light pitting, but other than that very sharp rifling and fairly shiny, and had a good 1/8" on the bullet test. The bolt and carrier had no signs of corrsions whatsoever. Best of all was the grenade sight locked into position smartly and all of the original markings were still intact! Being that one of the kits was getting built up as a grenade launcher repro, this was a great find. No corrosion was found anywhere on the rifle. This rifle was either carried a lot and shot little, or carried a lot and cared for very well.

Suomi kits: Well, I honestly am still a bit new to Suomis, but figured they were worth the $20 as an experiment. Both kits came with all parts although none of the numbers matched (whch doesn't matter with a Suomi from what I understand) and each gun came in three spearate packages: paper wrapped barrel/shroud/stock, platic wrapped fire control group parts, plastic wrapped bolt/rear tube cover/recoil spring, and receiver stubs tied together with wire (yikes, sharp!). Teh neat thing about the kits is they have the two different types of barrel shrouds, one with the shorter "slant cut" shroud and one with the perforated "muzzle brake" shroud. If this was intentional or luck of the draw I don't know, but it is nice to have some options. One stick mag was included with each kit and looks brand new, although since the time I ordered Centerfire has run out of stick mags. They currently offer the $20 kits without a mag, although you can purchase a drum with each $20 kit for an additional $14.95 according to Pam at Centerfire.

As a final note, all kits were coated in oil and wrapped quite well in plastic and paper (Yugo kits had the barrel assemblies wrapped in paper and stuffed in the plastic bag with the rest of the parts). Overall I was very pleased with the products I received, and at least one Yugo and posisbly one Suomi will come to completion out of these kits.

Dawg

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you got some good Yugo kits. Back when these first came in the guys that ordered sounded for the most part like they got corroded sewer pipes when they ordered the excellant kits.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good review! I have been hesitating to get one of the yugo kits might have to break down and get one.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The idea behind my review is to give people a general feel for the quality of kits or some other item that is hard to rate with a simple "excellent/good/fair" grading. If enough people were to do it we could get a pretty good feel for the quality of something from a certain vendor in short order.

Ideally I woudl like to do one every couple of weeks...pic a kit or topic (especially if a new kit comes on the market) and have everyone post their findings on their kit or on their order from a specific vendor.

When I get the time next week I'll do another one on Romy kits from Bocefus, which I have several of. My Century underfolder may also be one in the near future.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Muttly said:
Does anyone make a receiver for the suomi?
Military Gun Supply has a semi Suomi pending approval from the ATF. If they get approval they will start selling them. I'm not sure if they will be selling receivers but I would imagine they will become available some day.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
What are people going to do about the barrels in the Suomi kits? It seems that you could only make a SBR out of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts