AK Rifles banner

5.56 AK

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this so here it is in the General Discussion section.

I am considering an AK in 5.56 and am looking at either a Saiga (and converting it) or an SA M-5 as my two choices. I wanted to get some feedback from those that have both or one of these on likes/dislikes.

I know it is kind of a loaded question in that you?ll probably like the one you bought, but just wanting to make sure I?m not overlooking something.

I know the M-5 takes the Bulgy waffles; can the Saiga be converted to easily take these as well?

From what I can find on the net, the m-5 has a 1:7 twist (found that on the net, take it for what it?s worth) does anyone know the Saiga twist?

Thanks guys!

:mrgreen:

Got done with the post and noticed the poll section...so now I've got a poll. Makes me feel very official!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
ive got the SA-M5s now,....and i love it, allthogh,.the saiga would be alot cheaper. both are great rifles.

the mags for the SA-M5s are a bit more because of the whole supply:demand thing,..but can be found if your willing to look.
the fit, finish, and function is flawless on these rifles, and you will not be disappointed.

the saiga,..once you convert it,and instal the feed ramp,. can take any 5.56 mag from any country,..

i wouldent mind haveing a saiga in 5.56/.223 it is a good rifle for the price.

if you do not already have a 7.62x39 or a 5.45x39 AK style rifle you may want to pick up one of each as well.

good luck,..

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I voted for the SAM5. My milled Bulgarian .223 is my favorite semi AK. You won't be disapointed!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had both the SAM 5S and the Saiga .223 (un-converted). When cash crunch time came, pertaining to ex-wife taking me back to court, something had to go. The Saiga sold just about immediately when I put it on the market, and I kept the SAM 5S. The Saiga was a heck of a nice rifle, very reliable, and I was lucky, I got mine before the former importer stopped the flow and the prices went to the moon. Even though I liked the Saiga, I like the SAM 5S better, I am very happy I was able to keep it. Wish I could have kept the Saiga too, it was 100% reliable.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to bring this back to the top for some more opinions, and also to get a clarification.

The SA M-5 and the SA M-5 R are the two Arsenal AK?s that seem to be showing up here and there. Is the only difference between these two the rail on the receiver?

Both of these have threaded barrels 14x1, and both have the bayonet lug on the gas block? Is that right or am I missing something?

Thanks!

:coffee:

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Teutonic said:
The SA M-5 and the SA M-5 R are the two Arsenal AK?s that seem to be showing up here and there. Is the only difference between these two the rail on the receiver? Yes, pretty much ...

Both of these have threaded barrels 14x1, and both have the bayonet lug on the gas block? Yes ...
:twisted:

G

·
0 Posts
I would go with the SA M-5 if you have the money. Nicer rifle, no need to convert and IMO looks better.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
The post ban M5's are called......M5 and M5S. The S designation means it has a scope rail, but the rifles are the same.

The no-ban versions are called M5 and M5R.......again, only difference is that the R model has the scope rail.

Now......to muddy the waters.......Arsenal had a bunch of receivers from pre-Sept. 14 2004 and built up the no-ban rifles using post ban receivers, so you might be buying a rifle marked M5S that's really a no-ban M5R.

Clear as mud? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
saiga 223/sam 5

They're both fine guns. The Sam 5 is by far the nicer gun. Incredibly good looking and the fit and finish are superb and they're a very good shooter. The feel and the balance surprised me. I purchased a Sam 5s about three weeks ago and when it arrived I discovered it was one of the 5s's in a no ban configuration. I just can't say enough good about this AK...I paid $710.00 delivered to my ffl. I have a Saiga 223 also. It's unconverted. I was very surprised at the over-all quality of it. I really like the feel and the balance of it in its uncoverted condition. It too is a really good shooting gun. I paid $207.00 delivered to my ffl for it. Right now the Sam 5's are really hard to find and there's a good chance they're only going to get harder to find so prices are probably going to stay up on them. The new price list is out on most of the new Saigas ( www.fbmginc.com/rifles ) and the 16" 223 is listed at $291.00. That's up from what they were but still they're available and they have a world of potential depending on what you want to do with them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would vote for the SAM-5 if you can find/afford the mags.Just out of curiosity,why are you not considering a SAR-3?The SAR-3 takes the readily available and cheap Wieger mag and the SAR-3 is a top notch 5.56 AK with a genuine Romanian Military Reciever.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I also voted for the Arsenal...saiga's are really nice but way too much trouble getting them up to speed. Once they are they are just as good an AK as any and russian to boot. Trouble with Arsenal is, they are just as good or better than anything Izmash is putting on the market.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts