AK Rifles banner

5.56/.223 and 5.45 muzzle devices with M14x1.0 LH thread, do they exist?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  themousethatroared 
#1 ·
My understanding of a brake, compensator, or flash hider, is that it is supposed to be matched to the caliber of the firearm, with a tight clearance between the edge of the bullet and the device, so as to channel gasses and flash properly/effectively.

I have been looking for one for a 5.56 NHM-90 with a M14x1.0 LH thread on the barrel.
I can understand that 5.56 might be difficult to find, because it was an export caliber. But 5.45 was relatively widely used by post-Soviet militaries. They actually use these things in the places they came from.
Meanwhile, everything I find that does not require a thread adapter, is 7.62. Some manufacturers say their product is for both calibers, which would mean it would have excessive clearance for the smaller bullet.
Every one of the classic "AK74 style muzzle brakes" that I have come across, lists 7.62, or says it has been redesigned for 7.62.

Is there some kind of secret source for the smaller caliber muzzle devices? Maybe all are import and I am finding only domestic brakes?
Has there been a industry wide decision not to make the smaller caliber to prevent accidents when people put the smaller caliber on a 7.62 and grande them with the first round fired?
Or did the industry just decide that no one buys anything other than 7.62?

See less See more
#2 ·
Reactions: themousethatroared
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.