AK Rifles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding of a brake, compensator, or flash hider, is that it is supposed to be matched to the caliber of the firearm, with a tight clearance between the edge of the bullet and the device, so as to channel gasses and flash properly/effectively.

I have been looking for one for a 5.56 NHM-90 with a M14x1.0 LH thread on the barrel.
I can understand that 5.56 might be difficult to find, because it was an export caliber. But 5.45 was relatively widely used by post-Soviet militaries. They actually use these things in the places they came from.
Meanwhile, everything I find that does not require a thread adapter, is 7.62. Some manufacturers say their product is for both calibers, which would mean it would have excessive clearance for the smaller bullet.
Every one of the classic "AK74 style muzzle brakes" that I have come across, lists 7.62, or says it has been redesigned for 7.62.

Is there some kind of secret source for the smaller caliber muzzle devices? Maybe all are import and I am finding only domestic brakes?
Has there been a industry wide decision not to make the smaller caliber to prevent accidents when people put the smaller caliber on a 7.62 and grande them with the first round fired?
Or did the industry just decide that no one buys anything other than 7.62?

·
Banned
881 Posts
Reactions: themousethatroared

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Norinco post Bush1 .223 was and is nothing more than an 84S that was made angelic. The 84S series had a birdcage type flash hider. I am pretty sure that there is an American company that makes a less expensive but still quality copy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My understanding of a brake, compensator, or flash hider, is that it is supposed to be matched to the caliber of the firearm, with a tight clearance between the edge of the bullet and the device, so as to channel gasses and flash properly/effectively.

I have been looking for one for a 5.56 NHM-90 with a M14x1.0 LH thread on the barrel.
I can understand that 5.56 might be difficult to find, because it was an export caliber. But 5.45 was relatively widely used by post-Soviet militaries. They actually use these things in the places they came from.
Meanwhile, everything I find that does not require a thread adapter, is 7.62. Some manufacturers say their product is for both calibers, which would mean it would have excessive clearance for the smaller bullet.
Every one of the classic "AK74 style muzzle brakes" that I have come across, lists 7.62, or says it has been redesigned for 7.62.

Is there some kind of secret source for the smaller caliber muzzle devices? Maybe all are import and I am finding only domestic brakes?
Has there been a industry wide decision not to make the smaller caliber to prevent accidents when people put the smaller caliber on a 7.62 and grande them with the first round fired?
Or did the industry just decide that no one buys anything other than 7.62?
I’ve looked and looked I built a 74 and threaded the barrel 14-1 like a dumbass. There’s not a lot I’m using the tapco traditional break seams to be ok so far
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Machine gun

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve gotten some nice inexpensive brakes and flash hiders off eBay but I’ve been looking for the same m14-1 LH brake in 5.56 on eBay and I’ve not found one.
With their anti-firearm policies, I had not considered they would let such a thing through.
Some there, but all say 7.62, even the reproduction of the 5.45 brake. (Frownie face).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts