AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
The x39 is all Ukrainian now.

Have to wonder if we will see 5.45 under the Red Army brand. Got a feeling that the new Romy 5.45 on the market was the intended Red Army stuff.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found it locally at Fleet Farm. The 7.62x39mm stuff is made in Romania sometimes Ukraine but this stuff seems to be only Ukraine. It seems like Ukraine has issues with making non-corrosive ammo, so that's why I ask.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
isn't the 7.62 stuff lacquer coated?

what about the 5.45?

seems to be pretty decent stuff from what I've seen/heard/read/watched.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
isn't the 7.62 stuff lacquer coated?

what about the 5.45?

seems to be pretty decent stuff from what I've seen/heard/read/watched.
Unfortunately it seems to be poly coated. It's got a sealed primer but I can't see any sealer on the case neck.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
The x39 is all Ukrainian now.
This brings up a question I've had. Since all the surplus "Russian" 4,54 was made under the same military specifications and in the same country (Soviet Union), and issued to the same Soviet Army in the same manner without prejudice, I'm wondering why it being Ukrainian is important to keep in mind. Is there some kind of quality difference I'm not aware of? Or did I misunderstand, and it's just personal preference? Thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
This brings up a question I've had. Since all the surplus "Russian" 4,54 was made under the same military specifications and in the same country (Soviet Union), and issued to the same Soviet Army in the same manner without prejudice, I'm wondering why it being Ukrainian is important to keep in mind. Is there some kind of quality difference I'm not aware of? Or did I misunderstand, and it's just personal preference? Thanks!
I think that it is only fair and prudent to differentiate the commercial endeavors of all factories. In the case of the Red Army Standard brand 7.62x39, the initial sourcing was Romanian followed by Ukrainian (Lugansk).

While not wildly different in performance, the production factors will differ from factory to factory and brand to brand (due to anything from material sourcing to specifications determined by the marketers of the brand).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts