AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend said the .45 ACP is less powerful then the 7.62x39 but this can't be true since the .45 acp is a much heavier slug 233 grains vs 124 grains. What say you? Also which would produce more recoil in full auto?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
7.62x39 is going more than twice as fast. more ft lbs of energy.

7.62x39 will punch through light body armor like butter.

as far as wound channels i suppose that varies. 45 cuts a bigger initial hole, but 7.62x39 may fragment or penetrate far deeper.

7.62x39 will produce more recoil.

pistol round vs. intermediate rifle round.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Ermac said:
My friend said the .45 ACP is less powerful then the 7.62x39 but this can't be true since the .45 acp is a much heavier slug 233 grains vs 124 grains. What say you? Also which would produce more recoil in full auto?
7.62x39 is much more "powerful" thank .45 ACP. You mentioned the weight, but forgot to check the speeds. A .45 ACP in full auto would produce much less recoil than the same weapon chambered in 7.62x39.

·
Registered
900 Posts
You've not factored in velocity of the respective rounds.

Wow ... apparently we were all responding at the same time ... :oops:

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
out of pure curiosity, what kind of velocities could be achieved with a rifled 16 inch barrel in .45acp, lets say same ak type setup.

·
Registered
399 Posts
i think there must be some sort of misunderstanding were compareing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
629 Posts
a better (more interesting to me) comparison would be 7.62x25 vs. 45 acp, both pistol rounds, one's small fast, one's fat, slow. It's kinda the same thing as the olde 9/45, but maybe more up our alley. between the two... maybe 45, but depends on aplication.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
out of pure curiosity, what kind of velocities could be achieved with a rifled 16 inch barrel in .45acp, lets say same ak type setup
Not much. The weak link in a 45 is the case. At it's "normal" loading of a 230g bullet @ 850-950 fps that's about all the case can take.
that being said, you can load them a little hotter with no problems but if you want to really boost the pressure to get faster velocities you need to use a 45 win mag case. It's case walls are thicker than a standard 45 ACP case & therfore can handle the pressure of more powder to gain the velocity.

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
Delta-3 said:
out of pure curiosity, what kind of velocities could be achieved with a rifled 16 inch barrel in .45acp, lets say same ak type setup
Not much. The weak link in a 45 is the case. At it's "normal" loading of a 230g bullet @ 850-950 fps that's about all the case can take.
that being said, you can load them a little hotter with no problems but if you want to really boost the pressure to get faster velocities you need to use a 45 win mag case. It's case walls are thicker than a standard 45 ACP case & therfore can handle the pressure of more powder to gain the velocity.
interesting. i dont do much with pistol calibers, thats why i was asking. thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Flyingjibus said:
Is this for real?
lol thats what i was thinking ;)

that would be like saying a 230 grain .45ACP is more powerful than a 180 grain 30.06 just because it has a bigger bullet!...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
You've not factored in velocity of the respective rounds.

Wow ... apparently we were all responding at the same time ... :oops:

like a buncha guys trying to squeeze through a door at the same time :lol:

·
Registered
223 Posts
It isn't mass x velocity, it is mass x velocity squared. To be exact, energy = 1/2 x mass x velocity squared.

If you double the velocity for a given bullet weight, you get 4 times the energy.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You could compare a .44 with a .45.

The .45 is more powerful by .01.

Kinda like turning up an amplifier to '11'.

You know, like in "Spinal Tap". :lol:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Someone needs to modernize the tommygun.

Chatter baby, chatter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts