AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 6 hour round trip to pick this up......

Colt SP-1 AR-15 manufactured in the first full year of production, 1964.

This rifle was made before the "One Time Purchase" by the US Gov't in 1965 to arm the Army and USMC for Vietnam.

This rifle was made prior to the 1968 GCA....some guy walked into a hardware shop and paid his $100.00 and walked out with it.

I'd call it about 95%~97% condition. The Colt 3x scope shows more wear than the rifle does.

Non chromed bore, original one piece firing pin retainer, and hard chromed bolt.

I'm pretty happy...... :twisted:

Post 1972 advertisement for the AR-15. The times, they've certainly changed.

·
Registered
21,883 Posts

I'm gonna hide in this bunker as a wall of hate comes hurtling your way.

:peep:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Templar, I sure would apreciate a sticky of just pictures of all of your firearms.... yours and Johnos, I love seeing every fire arm picture you have, but doubt I've seen them all, come on, let's have it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The Colt SP1 has always been one of my top 2 favorite rifles. 1 in 12 twist bullet tumbeling goodness. [ Check yours for 1in 14 twist]. Very accurate , LIGHT and simple AR15 . No a2 sites to bump and move , no horrible 1 in 7 twist and the list goes on. I love mine [ Made in 1968]. Enjoy your cool rifle ! :allright:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
$189 new.....If only....

·
Registered
528 Posts
In '86 I bought one for $700, I sold it in '91 to buy a new truck when I got out of the Army. I made a profit, but it's still one of my "Kick me in the ass" moves I've made.
You gotta tell the sticker price. :twisted:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. This will replace the other 1964 Colt SP-1 that I had back during the AWB. I sold that to a buddy of mine who's a collector, he had to have it more than I did, but I always felt like I shouldn't have sold it, so when this came along, I hemmed and hawed for about 15 minutes before I bought it.

Blanco_Diablo, let's just say I got a hook up of epic proportions on this. A buddy of mine who's an admin on M4Carbine.net and also a member here had it come in his shop last month. He called me up to get some info on it.....by the end of the conversation I had my card out and was giving him a deposit. I went and picked it up today.

dale914, thanks man, but I really don't have a lot of stuff compared to some people I know. John_O definitely has me beat in volume. I've been down this road so many times in the past through several collections that now I focus on only the good stuff.

Jerod, I believe all the commercial SP-1's had 1/12" twist barrels. This one certainly does, and the one I had before it, which was 500 units older than this one, also had a 1/12". I agree, the old SP-1 and M16A1's were elegant rifles.

Here's the one that this rifle is replacing. I sold it during the AWB to a buddy of mine.

Anyway, thanks again guys. This will mostly be a safe queen, but I'll take it out and put some rounds through it. I have some USGI M193 from 1972 that's still on the stripper clips which will be good ammo for this.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Classic beauty! Nice rifle Tim. Congrats, that's a rare one indeed.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That's pretty kickass. I'll guess I'll have to settle for a clone of some sort.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Very very nice gun!!

Color me very jealous and impressed. How was the quality of those old Colts? I mean you heard about all the jams that the Vietnam era Colts had in the jungle, did the commercial semi versions have the same issues or were they as reliable as modern ARs?

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
<----This guy is jealous! too f'n sweet!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts