AK Rifles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO at a junk store today, I ran across some old "American Legion National Convention" decanters. They are all from the mid 70s, and all have aged bourbon, in them, and all have the tax stamp still n them never opened. One had Ezra brooks, aged 101 months in it and is dated 1974. by my count that makes it about 40 years old. Well, Mrs. Bodydropper foolin around with a cork pushed it in. SO I felt compelled to take a shot before I placed it in a wine bottle to be aged for god knows how long. This was the smoothest bourbon I have ever had. VERY good stuff. Any body know anything about aging whiskey like that, seems to be alot stronger than any bourbon I have had yet. And info on Aged bourbon, or This Ezra Brooks bourbon would be appreciated. We paid an average of 15 dollars per bottle and they were all unopened. Good deal or not?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
With a name like "Mrs. Bodydropper", I don't think you want to give her ANY alcaholl!! :shock:

·
Registered
185 Posts
drink the 1 that got opened
i think anythang in there will make it go bad IE dust from the cork

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
We Kentuckians are known to drink the finest Bourbon :twisted: ...Besides hunting, fishing, basketball and guns that's about all there is to do........ :twisted:

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Any aging occurred before the bourbon was bottled, when it was in the barrel. There should have been very little, if any, change since 1974.

You said it's stronger than other bourbon you've had. Is it a higher proof than you've been drinking? 80 proof, or 90 to 101 proof (yee haw!)?

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
My cousins father used to make his own booze, The still is still in her basement. Anyways he would brew grapes and make Armenian Arak which is similar to oozo. Her father died about 45 years ago but theres still this big glass jar with about a gallon of his home brew sitting in it, i wonder if it would be safe to drink? The jar is sealed and the booze is still crystal clear. Either i'm going to drink it or put it in my asshole neighbors lawn mower and watch it throw a rod when he starts it up this summer, lol.

A side note to old booze, a buddy of mine is a diver for the michigan state police, anyway about four years ago they were looking for a body in the Detroit river and he came across an old wreck on the rivers floor, he went through the wreck and found old liq bottles still sealed from the prohibition era and we drank one and it was some smooth stuff let me tell you, it must have been at least 80 years old. The Detroit river is littered with old wrecks from that era, the DPD and coast guard you to sink them ships on the spot back in the old days. All these wrecks are untouched too because its illegal to dive the river do to high currents. I'm a certified diver and have always dreamed about diving these old wrecks. The shit that could be found down there is endless...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jicky said:
We Kentuckians are known to drink the finest Bourbon :twisted: ...Besides hunting, fishing, basketball and guns that's about all there is to do........ :twisted:
No football? I didn't think ya'll were that backwards. :grin:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Whiskey, or if you will...Any variation of the original "Scotch" process.....(Jack D., etc....)

The "Age" is "frozen" when the product is decanted. End of subject.

So, a twenty-one-year-old Chevas Royal Salute ( for example), bottled twenty years ago, is 21 year old whiskey in a 20- year old bottle.

NOT 41 year -old Booze.

If left in the cask, where aging takes place, it would be 41-years old.

Only private distilleries, as I learned while stationed in the UK, can afford to invest that kind of time..........."OK, I took over the "family" still at age 35....I have to wait until age 75 to hope to drink 40-year-old scotch? " Well, if I was a Patrician...it might just happen........ :grin: :grin:

For those in business....that's not likely excepting, very, private , owner's stores...a preposterous "Tax" System precludes most there, and would drive them out of work......Realize that Our "Scotch" is almost all..actually "Blended Malts"...read the label....HighLand distillers are "Single-Malt"....by and large,.and sell to "Co-Opts" to be "blended" for "Export"....into "Export Blended malts"....

There was a popular "activity" that involved touring distilleries and sampling/collecting single malts in non-comercial runs....I have a small collection of "airline" bottles including "Sheep Dip" and other "lost in (no doubt drunken memory) names..... :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Accountant30339 said:
Jicky said:
No football? I didn't think ya'll were that backwards. :grin:
None to speak of... :grin:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Don't know too much about the ageing process other than Jack Daniels single barrel is a bit smoother.

But I do know:
Jack Daniels for a relaxing evening
Jim Beam to get drunk and forget what happened that night
Wild Turkey :shotz:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts