AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into some 7.62x39 40 round mags. They were rare and pricey during the big scare but are becoming available again at a average price. My question, as far as practicality, do you guys actually think they are more than a novelty? Yeah, 10 extra rounds, but does the weight and extra length cancel out the extra rounds?

I do use 45 rounders on occasion with my AK74, and like their use with that rifle, but not completely sold with the bigger round...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
They were designed to be used with the RPK to give more firepower then 30 rounders and to be used in addition to drum mags to lay down suppressive fire. 10 more rounds is 10 more rounds and that is up to the individual if they want to use it with a standard rifle. I doubt any are issued in a military scenario to a rifleman, though I bet many are traded for and "procured" for more firepower. I own a few myself and never use them but they are there if I feel like it, definitely do buy some, they will not loose any value.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I put a Bulgarian 75-round drum on my Draco just for the hell of it! :p

But as Omega7.62 said, they're more designed for SAW-type weapons (I have one for my Yugo M72) and I can't recall really seeing foreign armies using them on "regular" AK-47s too often.

Plus, they don't fit in my chest rig that well.

I think the 30-round mag is perfect size/capacity unless running a Romanian with a donkey dong or a AMD-65 at which point 20-round mags seem to work better...

Cheers! M2

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I'm a fan of gratuitously high firepower.
I'll jam anything into my rifle for a few more rounds.
Shooting from the prone? Turn the rifle at an angle, adjust your position, etc.
Find a way to work around the obstruction.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I never understood the 40 rounder from a military tactic/doctrine standpoint myself. I mean, 10 rounds is 10 more rounds, but it is so negligible as to question its worth when used in the RPK. I'm more curious about this issue when it comes to the RPK 74, as there are drums for the RPK, and when you boost the magazine by 15, it stills seems negligible.

Though both Soviet weapons have been around longer, I want to guess that its role was intended to be like the new M27 IAR developed for the USMC, replacing a high volume of fire used for suppression with precision firing for suppression. That said, you would pretty much have to guarantee a highly disciplined end user to ensure its effective use, and I don't think the average Russian conventional end user matches with the US "equivalent".

I do own a few for the collection though. I never thought Russian/east bloc stuff would become so valuable. I'm glad I got so much of the stuff when I did, though I also missed out on a lot of things (DDR barrels, the whole FAL boat).

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a Romanian 40 rounder, and it doesn't feed well. The feed lips are way to big and need to be filed back. I bought it just because I didn't have one, I only have 30's. I'm looking to transition to mostly 20's for weight savings.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I used to have that same problem until I came across our own CDALY05 and had him "fix it" in Multicam and Marpat.

View attachment 1202 View attachment 1203

OP if you only carry 120rds on you, then it's 3 mags instead of 4. That's 1 less mag change.
Wow. Not to mention a bit more added protection if in a battle.
That rig serves a second body armor. :-D

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The East German sources I have read said the 75rd drum was developed to give RPK firepower comparable to the RPD it was replacing. The problem was, unlike the open-bolt RPD, if you did a 75rd drum dump on full-auto in an RPK you are in cookoff mode. So the 40rdrs were adopted to preclude conscript-induced cook-offs.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense but I didn't want to say it without downgrading another military force as much as I could. This goes back to what I was saying about the whole RPK being negligible as a support weapon then for most of the com bloc conventional forces. It would take higher trained, disciplined soldiers to make any decent use out of it.

·
Technical Advisor
15,506 Posts
Training is key in any army. But there have been many a M2 or M60 barrels with incinerated rifling by US troops exceeding the sustained rate of fire in the heat of a combat situation. Mag changes would support the slower rate of fire better than a drum. But any rifle can be toasted by exceeding it's sustained rate of fire.
In initial contact, for fire superiority., the drum would be great., after that some trigger control would be necessary.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts