AK Rifles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am under the impression that the 'older' AK-74-style Russian folding rear trunnions that use a 4.5mm axis pin have a 6 degree hinge, and the 'newer' AK-100-style Russian folding rear trunnions that use a 5.5mm axis pin have a 4 degree hinge.

Can anyone verify that this is true?

I have a 5.5mm Russian rear folding trunnion I'm installing in a Siaga-based AK-103 clone, and I need to make the sheet-metal cuts to accept the trunnion.

For comparison, I also have an NDS1-KP receiver that appears to be cut for a 6 degree hinge, and as the photo shows, the new AK-100-style trunnion doesn't fit correctly:

Before I make the 4 degree sheeting metal cuts, I'd just like for someone to verify that indeed the Russians changed the hinge angle when they went from 4.5mm pins to 5.5mm pins.

thanks-
Thirtycal

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
They did make the angle switch and I am 90% certain it was at the same time they changed the hinge pin dia. So if you want to build an AK74m or AK105, not an AK74, you need to use the fixed stock NDS2 receiver and do your own cut for the folder trunnion. Of coures you could always use the new Kvar plastic side folder stock set for an AK74m or AK105 build on the pre-cut NDS2 receiver, as these, I belive are set up like the Russian AK74.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I spent some more time in the shop and demilled a Bulgarian AK-74 rear trunnion stub (4.5mm axis pin). I compared that trunnion to the new Izhmash trunnion (5.5mm axis pin). Very definitely the older AK-74 tunnion has a 6 degree hinge angle, and the new AK-100 trunnion has a 4 degree hinge angle.

thanks-
Thirtycal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts