• 3.8L V6 Fronty

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I posted earlier about civic or frontier. I am dismissing the civic, however a new contender has entered the arena. a 2021 Tacoma. Both vehicles are going to be 4x2. (I don't want 4x4) and the base model (access/king cab) Fronty goes for 25.5K OTD or the Taco @ 26.8K OTD. It's going to be a light work truck and daily driver. No towing, and hauling max 1000lbs. The Taco uses the 2.7L I4 and the Fronty uses the new (and unproven) 3.8L V6. Any experiences with both? I am not concerned w/ max power. I am more concerned about Longevity. possible resale. Throwing a poll just in case. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Have you checked youtube for revues .

·
Registered
379 Posts
The tacoma has engine has been around for a while and has proven to be reliable, like most toyota engines. the nissan engine is brand new, and the brand typically puts out reliable engines but no way to know with the new engine. if it were me, and we are only considering reliability, i would go with the tacoma since that engine has a track record

·
Registered
104 Posts
I`ve driving a 2.7 Tacoma for 19 years, 275,000 miles. 1 set of spark plugs, 1 set of belts. Also 1 O2 sensor, 1 fuel pump, 1 muffler, 1 ball joint, 1 set of shocks. Oil every 5,000 Mobile 1 all other fluids at 100,000. Almost forgot, 1 set of brakes. 2.7 5 speed 4x4.
Never owned a Nissan.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
There is no competition here, the Taco all the way.

Longevity and resale - Taco beats by a huge margin.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I can't say I have seen nissans loaded with jihadis and their sheep like I have with tacomas, speaks volumes to me anyway. I am on my second tacoma and I have an FJ40 so I'm biased anyway.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Been driving my 2.7 Tacoma for 6 years. Only need light hauling and a daily commuter.

Don’t care in the least about having the biggest, baddest truck, so it’s been perfect for me. Except for oil changes and a set of tires, haven’t had to do anything to it.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I started to type a long, drawn out answer that begins with the question, "you really don't know?" Then, I decided it's just easier to simply say... "Toyota".

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How does the 2.7L DOHC I4 handle getting up to highway speeds. It seems like a weak engine to be pulling 4000lbs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have 2015 2.7l I4 Toyota Access Cab 4x4 (automatic). I have 150,000 miles on it and its been super reliable/maintenance free. I love it. That said, it is SLOW getting up to speed (especially if you are used to a V6 or V8). It will get there (eventualy) and cruise just fine, you just can't be some F1 or Nascar driver and pull in front of someone or you'll get run over. My next truck (and I'm in no hurry) would be a V6 Tacoma.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts