AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Found this rifle on a recent on line gun auction listed as being part of an old time gun collector’s estate sale. The bid was reasonable and with a vague description. The pics while not the greatest did show enough to determine that the rifle wasn’t a refurb and it wasn’t a Finn captured 91/30. Additionally it showed no import marking in the pics and the s/n of the rifle fell about 900 higher than a documented 36 Tula SCW rifle. So I decided to give it a go and to my surprise it stayed well under $200.00.

I received the rifle yesterday and it is indeed an unrefurb’ed early 36 Tula 91/30. built on a 35 Tula hex receiver. It is a mix of Tula and Izhevsk parts and is in the original 36 Tula stock. The receiver is lacking in the Communist Crest and doesn’t appear to have been scrubbed. The bore is in decent shape and the action bluing is about 50%, but the magazine housing and the barrel bands have zero bluing and have light surface rust and minor pitting. There are no tell tale signs of being a SCW rifle other than the lack of an import stamp, being non- refurb’ed, and its S/N being in close proximity to another known SCW rifle.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Nice find...the 1936 receiver transition year rifles are some of my favorites. Have a hex and round myself..

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice find...the 1936 receiver transition year rifles are some of my favorites. Have a hex and round myself..
Thanks Traak's
I have started to collect 1936 MN's since you can get both hex and round recievers in Tula's, Simonov Trials rifles, plus SCW's and Finn Captures, both of which are almost always non-refurb'ed.

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
What does SCW mean?

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
yea Spanish Civil War. Sometimes a good way to tell is if its marked "made in URRS" when imporrted here. For some reason the importer misspelled USSR and you only see that on the Spanish MNs

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Within the field of Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagants there are several features that help to show a rifle’s provenance towards this conflict and region. These features include:

• The rifle’s date range [1937 and prior dates only]
  • The “Made in USSR/URRS” stamp
  • Lack of modern import stamps
  • “MP8” Flaming Bomb cartouche
  • Wire sling hangers
  • Spanish made stock and/or hand guard
  • A heavily sanded stock
  • Blade front site on a rifle that otherwise wouldn’t have one

Copy / paste from this website: A List of SCW Rifle Features - The Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant
Informative reading for the MN collector

1 - 7 of 7 Posts