AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have experience with .308 Vepr rifles? Specifically I'm looking at these:

https://centerfiresystems.com/VSB308-20-01.aspx
https://centerfiresystems.com/VSB308-20-02.aspx
https://centerfiresystems.com/VSB308-23-02.aspx

Along with the integrated front sight used on the second and third rifles, the rear sight block and rear sight seem to be totally different animals. Does this mean the gas tube is also a non-standard length on these rifles?
Does anyone have an opinion on the integrated sight version vs. the standard sight version? And what about the 20 vs. 23" barrels? In 7.62x39 a 23" barrel is of limited utility, but a 23" .308 is a significant velocity advantage.
For mags it looks like CSS mags are the best bet for 20-rounders.
I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Are you looking to keep it in stock configuration or convert it? Those are not bad looking guns. Not sure about the integrated sights, I do like the way they look though, I would more than likely put an optic on a .308 Veper rather than use standard irons.

Have you checked out the Super Veper in .308? That is one sexy bitch right there!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I have one with normal sights. At first they mistakenly sent me one with "integrated" sights, and I looked at it for a while but ultimately sent it back. The AK already has a short sight radius, and they are not as adjustable as normal sights. I suppose if they are strictly used as backups it would be fine, though. The FSB on my replacement has a plunger and spring, so the sleeve can easily be removed and replaced with a brake or FH. The trigger is a bit gritty, and can be replaced with a G2, but it has to be modified.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
just my opinion but...

mission dictates gear. if your going to make a handier,lighter rifle(not sure why a vepr is a wise choice for this),SBR(308?) it or cut for a suppressor,then get the v2 sights. also,i'm thinking that if your sure you'll be using it only or mostly for shorter distances(200m or less?) or snap shooting only,than the v2 sights should fit you better.

other than this,the v1 sights should be a better choice overall.

as far as barrel length,that's up to you. for .308,18" is probably a good overall length for a "battle rifle" but you definitely gain from longer lengths. 20 1/2" is a good length for most uses. if I were going to use it mostly for bench shooting,i'd get the 23". for hunting,23" or 20 1/2". for hunting in dense bushes or thickets,up closer shots only and for scaring little children or if you have a dragon complex,16 1/2".

a 23" made to look like a SVD for bench or prone on a bipod and good glass would be awesome.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking more to scope it, which means the 20 or 23" barrel.
It would appear that the 23" integrated sight model has a non-standard rear sight block and gas tube, which would prohibit installation of Tech Sights, for example. It's also $50 more, which isn't a deal-killer.
I would replace the furniture with synthetic, especially since the models at Centerfire (rough, unfinished stocks) seem to demand it.
Another issue with the integrated sight model might be the FSB. With no plunger in the FS, installing a muzzle device might be a little trickier. But probably no more that having to use loctite.
Does anyone know of a vendor besides Centerfire who has good prices on these?

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have a 20" .308 Vepr with integrated sights. I use a scope on it and it is pretty darn accurate. I love it !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts