AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an order in for a straight back 308 VEPR. (Version 1 - "Standard" front sight.)

Intent is to make it into a "Standard" AK configuration, i.e. with standard AKM buttstock, pistol grip, and handguards.

Buttstock: My understanding is just about any AK buttstock will work here. Will it require fitting due to the thicker VEPR receiver?

Pistol Grip: Understand any AK pistol grip will work here. Will I need to order a retaining screw/nut? Or does the VEPR thumbhole have one?

Handguards: Gets interesting.

Upper handguard: Am I correct I just need to get a standard gastube like so:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_in ... ts_id/2807
And any AK upper handguard?

Lower handguard: I'm ASSuming the thicker barrel is problem. It looks like Ironwood has a special handguard model for converted Saiga 308's and 20 GA. Would that model fit on a VEPR 308? What is the best lower handguard retainer? I do not like the clamp on style. This looks OK....
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/st ... 32501.aspx
And in the Q and A's it says it will fit a Saiga 308. Does that sound right? It I wanted to go hardcore and pull the FSB off... what kind of "conventional" lower handguard retainers could I use?

Thank You Very Much :beer:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would a RPK lower handguard retainer work?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far the only "RPK" lower handguard retainers I'm finding right now are off M72's. Thoughts on those?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I have learned first hand so far:

Two different AK pistol grips I tried so far fit with no modification. You will need a standard AK pistol grip screw. The screw for the VEPR thumbhole stock is too short to use with a regular pistol grip.

AK Buttstock will need sanding to fit. So (Sadly - and surprisingly to me) will a RPK stock.

I read that AK74 gastubes dropped in. This would be - NOT TRUE.

More updates and misadventure to follow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts