AK Rifles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im starting my first calibur conversion a 2xtm. i picked up a suomi kit for the donor. i got an airsoft xm177 flash hider for barrel extension (perfect fit). i would like a 19 mm trunnion chinese or one of 'tt' if someone has one they decided not to use. it would save me the barrel sleeving. i would also like input from anyone
who has built one. im using a ertd 1.6 receiver . i plan on using a galil gastube in conjuction with the H&K triple frame. i'm also going to use the EOD tok bcg
here is a pic of progress so far. . i got a long way to go yet but anticipation is half the fun of the build.

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i managed to pick up a couple of the Lichtenburg magwell's. curtis has flats for these but i figured and i was right the 1.6 receiver eliminates the gap betweeen the magwell and the lower rails. once you grind the mag stabilzer's flat on the lower rails the Lichtenburg mw is a snug fit. also the 4.350 cut on the Lichtenburg tutorial turned out to be 4.300 on my magwell opening .good thing i practiced on a old flat that i had previously bent up. he has a disclaimer
calling it a 80% mag due to some tweaking involved .this one for sure will be a challenge . but a guy with your skills should be able to pull it off easier than me. i have an extra magwell if you need a reverse engineering subject. i have no drafting skills or i would put it to paper for you.

· Registered
1,419 Posts
Wow, I've been browsing Litchenburg, and well, wow!
I know I've looked at this stuff before, but back then my knowledge base wasn't where it is now.
Back then I was like 'whatever, I can't do that' now I'm like "HEY! THAT LOOKS LIKE FUN!!!" :grin:

I might just have to take you up on that offer later on :dance: but I've got to finish this damn 54r project right now. The last little details are driving me nuts! :grin:

I take it from the barrel ext. that your building yours into a rifle, that's a neat project! Can't wait to see your progress!

· Registered
3,530 Posts
Guys,
Roger Lichtenberg is an amazing gunsmith. He hosts AK build parties a couple of times a month at his house and all are welcome. We could do everything was disassembly, to build to park. He does primarily screw builds as he is always tinkering and modifying his designs.
He taught me SO much about building and I owe my collection to his help.
The 2xtm is pretty interesting. He has built some crazy rifles using that as a basis including his "Waterworld" gun. Check out his site and see what you think.
http://www.lichtenbergresearch.com/2xtm/2xtm.html

· Registered
143 Posts
I've been looking to build one for some time now. I've gathered some parts for the build, but just don't feel up to speed enough to start a project like that yet. The more I see others doing it though... The better I feel about starting my own.

· Registered
63 Posts
I was gathering parts for a 7.62TOK and 9mm Conversion using the 2XTM mag well but now they are out of stock and no plans to restock...=(

Guess I should have bought the mag wells first before buying '74 kits, 9mm/.30 barrels.

· Registered
636 Posts
You see the magwells in the "For Sale" section occasionally, and sometimes on Gunbroker. People probably snapped them up, then bailed when they realized the project is a little more involved than slapping together an AK kit.

Keep an eye out; they're out there!

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TRX said:
You see the magwells in the "For Sale" section occasionally, and sometimes on Gunbroker. People probably snapped them up, then bailed when they realized the project is a little more involved than slapping together an AK kit.

Keep an eye out; they're out there!
i put out a wtb ad and picked mine up. i always considered a 2xtm beyond my skills
but with the erie ordnance depot bolt. i got to thinking i might be able to pull it off. i guess i got to, i got money invested now

· Registered
1,399 Posts
What are they going for ? I have 1 that I might sell. I doubt I'll ever get around to building it.

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i picked up some more parts and worked on the build some more. i dremeled some slots for my galil gas tube in the trunnion. i got my barrel sleeved and hg retainer set. the hg retainer consisted of the bayo lug part of an ar15 fsb milled flat and drill and tapped for screw. also adjusted the mag height. i done some trials with a 74 bolt it seems feed the round and eject good. i hope that doesnt change with the eod bolt. i still need to study on the mag catch some and what to do with the big gap that will be on right side from barrel being pushed so far back . i'm totally open for imput on this.
anyone?

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
turbothis said:
the drum looks mighty low.
its just a mock up .when everything is fastened and mag catch is built it will be tight. i fit it to just keep the bolt from hitting back of drum. but im not going to commit until i get the bolt from eod.

· Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
turbothis said:
that is the only thing i hate about the drum mag request on these types of projects. the drum eats off a lot of the receiver and makes it kinda flimsy.
that was part of my reasoning for using the 1.6mm but with the MW sitting up againest the lower rails and between the mag stabilizers it should be plenty strong once it welded in.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
Maybe you can get some ideas from these:
Here's what AZ ****** did with his. He did'nt set the barrel back but used a bullet guide and lengthened the feedlips on some stick mags. He welded a small shroud to cover the gap on the right side of the barrel.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks like he added an extension to the AK mag catch

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.