AK Rifles banner

26.5mm Flare Guns

3K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  762BODYDROPPER 
#1 ·
Just picked up one of those H&K flare guns from MGS......

Anyone have any expierence w/ these things? Specifically, the smoke rds? Just wondering how much smoke they really put out. I did find this pic though

See less See more
#6 ·
eodinert said:
I bought one so I can say I have an HK pistol.

Recoil is pretty stout. It would definately be useful for signalling. I got it because it was cool.
Are you using those Czech flares? Any good? Haven't shot mine yet.

Since this is the SHTF forum, anyone wanna talk about the potential offensive uses of flare guns?? :razz:

#7 ·
:shock: I don't think the flare will hit with much energy but being set on fire with something that burns 4-5 seconds would really SUCK!

I have wondered about the incendidary 12 gauge shells. I have 10 of these, and I wonder what they would impact like.

#8 ·
What was that movie where he guy stalked that woman and her and her husband were on a sail boat and she shot him with a flare gun? I think it was called pitch black. It atleast knocked him off the boat, But if you could get a flare to penetrate?!?!?!?! Phosferous(sp) woudl do some damage on a mans insides.......Even having a large fireball fired at me would scare the shit out of me... I am sure it would scare anybody. But If someone was useing something like a shed for cover...Or something else flamable or with flamables in it a flare would sure change thier plans..... A 12 guage flare gun would probably prove more useful in this situation with all the different 12 G rounds available!

#9 ·
762BODYDROPPER said:
Even having a large fireball fired at me would scare the shit out of me... I am sure it would scare anybody. But If someone was useing something like a shed for cover...Or something else flamable or with flamables in it a flare would sure change thier plans....
Now that's what I'm talkn about! The whole Katrina mess got me thinking: Suppose you're walk'n (or driving) down the block trying to get the hell out dodge, and you come around the corner and some asshole holed up in a house or something starts taking shots at you. Now suppose you can't skirt around him, and you can't go back the way you came...only option is to deal w/ the prick shooting at you. So what if you popped a couple of these flares through the windows? (in addition to burning some mags or what have you) I think you see where I'm going with this! Only problem is of course, these things weren't made to be fired accurately, so I don't know if this would work or not :neutral:

I did how ever miss a golden opportunity to test my theory out. My friend's Grandparents moved into a new house a few months back, and they decided to just burn the old one down (yeeaaah, we do things a lil bit differently here in Georgia!). Now had I known about this, I woulda shot some flares at it and see what happened :grin:

G
#10 ·
flares are more accurate than you might think. i carried a cobrey 37mm launcher in my truck for starting backfires/ burning out green pockets on forest fires. with a little practice i could put them where i wanted out to about 500 ft. (little farther with less accuracy). i also have shot around a couple hundred of the 26.5mm, 25mm, and USAF pin flares. they all seemed to have about the same accuracy. the big difference was the burn time/ heat output. i was using Mil surplus 37mm in the aluminum cases, and was getting approx 11-13 sec of burn time.

disclaimer: i was in charge of a twenty person crew for the USFS (i just didn't go out burning crap) :grin:

#13 ·
762BODYDROPPER said:
What was that movie where he guy stalked that woman and her and her husband were on a sail boat and she shot him with a flare gun? I think it was called pitch black.

I vote no.

I'm pretty sure there arent any sailboats in outer space.

EDIT: how about that? better?

#14 ·
AtlAK said:
762BODYDROPPER said:
What was that movie where he guy stalked that woman and her and her husband were on a sail boat and she shot him with a flare gun? I think it was called pitch black.

I vote no.

I'm pretty sure there arent ay sailboats in outer space.
I am not sure your sexual preference has anything to do with this post....That should be addressed in the rec room......Thank you very much

#17 ·
BiggerStick47 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ATL, your pic said "I'M GAY" while ago! :lol: We were trying to figure out what the fuck that had to do with the movie.
just silly 762 abusing his mod powers again. I sees how it is.

EDIT: hmmm. wait a second now. I though 762 switched the img URL becuase he was cranky i mocked him. but now I see that the link takes me to an "I'm Gay" pic. nice. If you look at the URL it was supposed to show a dvd cover for the movie pitch black. I apologize to 762 for thinking he modded my post.

BTW I'm not gay.

#18 ·
Yep, got the czech flares. Recoil from the firing end is pretty stout. I let my 10 year old son fire the first round out of it... mistake. He didn't want to shoot it again. Recoil isn't crazy, it's just more than I thought it would be. The flares do go quite a ways. The smoke... well, looks a lot like the pic up there (smoke starts coming out in flight, then continues to burn for a bit after it hits). You are not going to conceal the movement of an infantry company behind the cloud, but it's a great visual signal.

Back in the day, when I was a snake eater, we would use flares to control our platoon on night ambushes (cease fire, etc). It's hard to hear people yelling commands when you're puttin' the smack down. In addition to the obvious signalling and illumination uses, I could also see using them to remotely ignite an accelerant that was strategically placed or thrown (armor or ?).

Any way you look at it, they're good fun.

#21 ·
AtlAK said:
AH HA! see you guys, the link fixed itself. :gay: :dblfu:

oh man.

does this count as a thread hijack?
man some of you gays just have to be the center of attention dont you!! Not really a thread hijack.....more like a stupid commercial advertising your homosexuality. and now back to the discussion at hand.

What would you guys say would be the best flare to get all in all. as far as versatility, different flares available, price of gun and flares and availability of flares.

#22 ·
762BODYDROPPER said:
AtlAK said:
AH HA! see you guys, the link fixed itself. :gay: :dblfu:

oh man.

does this count as a thread hijack?
man some of you gays just have to be the center of attention dont you!! Not really a thread hijack.....more like a stupid commercial advertising your homosexuality. and now back to the discussion at hand.

OWNED!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Atl not busting on you but you need to make the picture of the asian wrestler dude your avatar, at least for a day... :lol:

PS- the show 24 is pretty awesome. He has some unrealistic handgun shots but it is a good show.

#23 ·
Q-gunner2 said:
[quote="B-29Gunner":3rwcz4o6]
AtlAK said:
I vote no.

I'm pretty sure there arent ay sailboats in outer space.
I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:3rwcz4o6]

Yeah I about died the first time I saw that pic! The fuckn helmet tops it all off :lol: On a side note, I think I know what my halloween costume will be this year!!!

Atl....you should definitely make the naked Asian dude your avatar! :roflmao:

#24 ·
Ooooooook, I shall now attempt to get back on topic here....(but you gotta admit that Asian dude is pretty fuckn funny :roflmao: )

Here's some pics of my H&K flare gun, as you can see it isn't exactly "small!"

Next to the mighty Kimber....

Check out the bore compared to the Mossie 590, that's a big ass flare coming at ya!!!

BODYDROP, I think the 12ga flares & guns would probably be overall the cheapest and most practical (you can buy em at Wal-mart, after all!)....I think I might buy one and do some tests w/ it and the H&K. Although personally, I think the H&K will come out on top, but then you have the issues of getting the flares (no one sells them around here). But as far as an incinderary tool, I'd go w/ the 26.5 all day.

#26 ·
We interupt this incredibly gay thread with an on-topic post:

They ARE like three bucks each, but I think you get $3 worth of smoke, fire and light out of them. It's not like you take it to the range to go plinking.

If you buy them at a fun show, you don't have to deal with hazmat shipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.