AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of the Romanian SAR 3 versus the Norinco .223 AKs? I feel another AK in my future and I am wondering about opinions on which one of these would be the better choice and why? I don't want to spend the bigger bucks on a milled SAM 5 right now.

By the way, I am in pretty good shape for 7.62x39 AKs already, just branching into another interesting caliber for these rifles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
The chinese mags are harder to find and cost more. The chinese rifle will likely cost more as well. The romanians also have a built in side rail mount that may be nice to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,629 Posts
thedukeryan said:
The chinese mags are harder to find and cost more. The chinese rifle will likely cost more as well. The romanians also have a built in side rail mount that may be nice to have.
A Saiga conversion would be a good, economical choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
AKLover_91 said:
thedukeryan said:
The chinese mags are harder to find and cost more.
The chinese rifle will likely cost more as well.
The romanians also have a built in side rail mount that may be nice to have.
A Saiga conversion would be a good, economical choice
+1 on the saiga conversion.
Depending on what you want, you can do these yourself.
Use Modified Weigers or Bulgarian waffles in 5.56.
The Saigas also have the side rail scope mounts.

KyAKGuy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The side rail mount is definitely a plus. Are there any other attributes of the Chinese that make them more desirable than the SAR 3s or converted Saigas? It seems to me as though there should be a reason why the price on them is higher.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Elokoman said:
The side rail mount is definitely a plus. Are there any other attributes of the Chinese that make them more desirable than the SAR 3s or converted Saigas? It seems to me as though there should be a reason why the price on them is higher.
The main reason why the Chinese .223 AK variants are higher priced than the Saigas and SAR 3's. Is that Chinese AK's are banned from import since '94. Any pre-89 Chinese AK will be higher in price too. So anything Chinese that's here is all that will be availiable. Same goes for the Chinese .223 AK mags.

SAR 3 and Saigas will have the optics rail and can be used with more common, availiable and cheaper priced mags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Chinese 84S .223 is the best out there, mags are more expensive but they work($20-$40 you have to keep an eye out for the best deals)...SARs and WASRs are hit and miss witgh the mags...German Wieger .223 is the best for WASR3 and SAR3. Chinese guns are more robust and have double hook trigger...the best triggers out there. I think theres a Bulgarian in .223 but Id go the Chinese way...a little more for a better quality firearm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old Troop, I know where there is a Chinese .223 for sale, but he wants quite a bit for it, what do these go for? I know many people feel they are the better rifle, but you are the first to tell me why. Any more insights and opinions would be very welcome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
I'm not sure on the Chinese .223 AK's barrel twist but the Saiga and SAR 3 are 1/9 twist (some say 1/7 for SAR 3's, since they're Bulgarian barrels and those are 1/7 twist) Gives you a better range of ammo you're able to shoot.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I want a .223 Saiga if I can find one in AZ. Do the Bulgarian mags work without modification if the Saiga has a bullet guide installed? Had a chance to buy a wood stock one a year ago but stupidly passed and bought a SLR-105R instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Elokoman said:
Old Troop, I know where there is a Chinese .223 for sale, but he wants quite a bit for it, what do these go for? I know many people feel they are the better rifle, but you are the first to tell me why. Any more insights and opinions would be very welcome.
Well thats a hard one...really depends on a lot of things....condition, in the box, no box, all the mags that came with it or more. I sold one last year for $725 in very good condition with 7 mags. I didnt think id ever be able to replace it....6 months later at a gun show an old guy walks in with a 84S and 3 mags.....i asked what he wanted for it.....$425 and not a penny less...WELL SHIT...i about broke my neck getting the money out so now I have another one. to be realistic Id say somewhere from $600 up to $900 for an underfolder. You could get a chinese MAK90 in .223 cheaper and redo it to your liking. Anything under $600 for a 84S is great. Average like I said above. I am a big Chinese AK fan.......to me its worth paying extra for them.....Their great guns and parts are plentiful.........go to my website below an see my guns..............

http://762x39.net
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,797 Posts
Mak said:
I want a .223 Saiga if I can find one in AZ. Do the Bulgarian mags work without modification if the Saiga has a bullet guide Installed?
Mak,
For mine i had to slightly mod the mags to fit. The rear top of the mags would hit the crosspin when they were inserted.
Real easy to fit them properly. Once i figured it out it took about 3 min to do the mod. I have 9 Bulgy mags and 3 weigers for mine.
The weigers are easy to modify too. Couple of min and a dremel and its no prob.
The feedramp is the trickiest part to do. Just make sure that you try it with a round to see if the bolt will close with a round on it.
When i did mine it would close, but would not close with a round in the chamber. The bolt was hitting the feed ramp.
Took it out and filed it a little more and it was good to go.

If you have any other questions PM me for details.

KyAKGuy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,629 Posts
KyAKGuy said:
Mak said:
I want a .223 Saiga if I can find one in AZ. Do the Bulgarian mags work without modification if the Saiga has a bullet guide Installed?
Mak,
For mine i had to slightly mod the mags to fit. The rear top of the mags would hit the crosspin when they were inserted.
Real easy to fit them properly. Once i figured it out it took about 3 min to do the mod. I have 9 Bulgy mags and 3 weigers for mine.
The weigers are easy to modify too. Couple of min and a dremel and its no prob.
The feedramp is the trickiest part to do. Just make sure that you try it with a round to see if the bolt will close with a round on it.
When i did mine it would close, but would not close with a round in the chamber. The bolt was hitting the feed ramp.
Took it out and filed it a little more and it was good to go.

If you have any other questions PM me for details.

KyAKGuy
Or, instead of altering good mags, I've heard fileng down the magcatch works too.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've got some Bulgarian mags that I had to fit that same way so they would go up into the magwell of a Norinco so they would probably work in a Saiga. Just have to find one local.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top