AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started gathering parts for a .223 frankenK some years back and now that I have some mags to use I started to make use of my day off. Originally I had some 10 round Weiger mags but ended up using a 74 flat and these bakelite mags marked .223 and noticed the followers are not the same on the 2 mags. Interestingly enough this mag has a 23 mold mark.

My aging mind couldn't remember if there was a difference between AKM and 74 trigger guards. I used a screw kit to put an AKM trigger guard in place and it works with these mags although one mag fits just right and one is a little tight on the paddle. I'll find out when I test fire if the different followers make any difference.

I have what is either a Romanian or East German .223 barrel and trunion with what I believe is a Chinese bolt with spring loaded firing pin. All this info is subject to revision of course but this is what I think I remember. In my mis-spent youth I made a dedicated investment in burning up brain cells. I guess I put a plug in the jug just in time:D

I'll probably do the reaming and heat treating this afternoon and rivet the trigger guard on. I need to do some work on the sand blaster also. I've been putting off buying a real compressor but I'm about ready to bite the bullet and buy one.

·
Banned
950 Posts
Mag is E German, follower is Robinson Arms. This was what was available before the Bulgarian mags. They work OK. It would probably be cheaper to simply buy a 106FR and be done with it. Course not sure what you are going for.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mag is E German, follower is Robinson Arms. This was what was available before the Bulgarian mags. They work OK. It would probably be cheaper to simply buy a 106FR and be done with it. Course not sure what you are going for.7
Thanks for the info. Going for turning a pile of parts into a rifle. The barrel, trunion, bolt and carrier were sorted out from stuff I had accumulated over the years and hadn't sorted through for several years. I bought the mags and the 74 flat. I'm going to use a G2 fire control group . I've got a lot of furniture, I'm not sure what I'll use.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
If its an East German barrel I believe you will need a 47 rear site base and a 74 gas block and fsb. Anyone care to confirm?

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Depends., but if a STG barrel it will need lathe turned so you can put whatever you want for a RSB and the gas port is undrilled.
I built a 5.56 with a Weiger STG941 barrel and Yugo bolt and AK74 kit and one of the single stack NDS cheapo receivers from a couple of years ago. It took some finagling and I used the Bulgy 5.56 waffles.

The journey>

5.56 AK74 build complete - The AK Files Forums

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends., but if a STG barrel it will need lathe turned so you can put whatever you want for a RSB and the gas port is undrilled.
I built a 5.56 with a Weiger STG941 barrel and Yugo bolt and AK74 kit and one of the single stack NDS cheapo receivers from a couple of years ago. It took some finagling and I used the Bulgy 5.56 waffles.

The journey>

5.56 AK74 build complete - The AK Files Forums
Thanks for the good info as usual. I'm going to have to start writing everything down, all the stuff I think I'll be able to remember just floats off into the fog. I did the reaming, heat treating, and trigger guard rivets tonight. I'll have to figure out what I've done with the front end so far.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Thanks for the good info as usual. I'm going to have to start writing everything down, all the stuff I think I'll be able to remember just floats off into the fog. I did the reaming, heat treating, and trigger guard rivets tonight. I'll have to figure out what I've done with the front end so far.
I had to lathe the barrel from the handguard retainer back for the fitment of the RSB and HGR fit. I had to cut the two side HGR retainer slots and of course the locking lever notch. The extractor cut and gas port must be made as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heat treated, reamed, trigger guard rivets, barrel set up and pinned.

My brother builder set me up with his super juice x rated Parkerizing solution so I sandblasted while it was coming up to temperature. One of my favorite things about building these rifles is the people I meet and the wonderful friendships I've been blessed with. What a deal, promoting our 2A and making friends!

Now I need to root around and pick some furniture to use on this build. Since this has been a total mix and match from the beginning I hope my parts pile has something unusual to use.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lookin' good., nearing the finish line. They are great shooters. congrats.
Thanks very much. I noticed something for the first time today. I was going to use a slant brake but realized the threaded portion of the barrel is much longer than usual. I had some long muzzle brakes from when I had a batch of similar barrels in 7.62x39. Unfortunately those long slant brakes are threaded 1/2x28. I'll have to find one to buy or maybe I'll use a 7.62x39 74 style brake that is 14x1 that I have.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Thanks very much. I noticed something for the first time today. I was going to use a slant brake but realized the threaded portion of the barrel is much longer than usual. I had some long muzzle brakes from when I had a batch of similar barrels in 7.62x39. Unfortunately those long slant brakes are threaded 1/2x28. I'll have to find one to buy or maybe I'll use a 7.62x39 74 style brake that is 14x1 that I have.
If you have a 14/1 tap you can lengthen the threads in most muzzle devices. I have done that a lot. And some of the USA made devices have short thread runs in then., by abut two turns or so.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks good.,:eek: a wood upper would be a nice match..., as that turned out quite well. How does she shoot?
Thanks very much. I flipped back and forth over what parts to use, may end up with a wood upper handguard eventually. Haven't shot it yet, just put it together today. CNC Warrior sent me the extended length muzzle brake, faster shipping than in the past. Something about the way they cut threads though, always very tight on the muzzle brakes I've bought from them. Even tighter on the 1/2x28 stuff I got from them in the past.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Thanks very much. I flipped back and forth over what parts to use, may end up with a wood upper handguard eventually. Haven't shot it yet, just put it together today. CNC Warrior sent me the extended length muzzle brake, faster shipping than in the past. Something about the way they cut threads though, always very tight on the muzzle brakes I've bought from them. Even tighter on the 1/2x28 stuff I got from them in the past.
Funny you say that I was just talking to a fellow who had the same issue. I have a threading tap in 14/1 LH so I generally chase the tight muzzle devices or the ones that are a thread or two short..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts