AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been shooting some time ago at a buddys place with one of my AK variants which I have since sold off.
Here we were taking shots at water bottles, targets and just doing some offhand plinking.
At one point, my buddy takes up my rifle, loads the mag with ammo I had brought over STILL IN THE BOX, loads the mag into the rifle and starts taking shots.
All was going well, bang, bang, bang, when all of a sudden, poff!!!
What the hell we thought.
He could have sworn the bullet was in the barrel as he felt no real kick or didnt see anything come out of barrel either.
We proceed to inspect rifle, pull out empty case which at this point we realized had expanded to abnormal size and further inspect barrel.
No lodged bullet in barrel thankfully.
We thoroughly inspected the insides once again, nothing.
All seemed fine.
"Well, its an AK man, lets load it up again. It must have been a bad dud of a round. Cool!"
We proceeded with caution on first, second, third and following shots just in case.
Bang, bang, bang.....

Just yesterday, talking firearms, ammo and the such with my old timer neighbor who has done his own fair share of shooting, reloading and gunsmithing in his haydays, I happen to mention the incident to him and all that transpired.
Needless to say, I peaked his curiousity as to what could have caused such an occurence. He came up with the different possible issues that my rifle could have had.
I informed him we covered all the bases. Nothing wrong with rifle.
He asks me if I still had the exploded case that came from said incident.
I say "you know, I do".
Ive kept it just for the sake of reminding myself how serious one should take firearms and how to proceed next time if given this scenario again. Maybe I could/should have gone about it differently?!?
Anyways, we come over and go over how the scenario took place.
I break down my bolt and carrier and he says "let me see the exploded case and bolt".
He fiddles with it, fits the case as best as possible to the bolt and then asks for a live/ new 7.62 round.
"Hey, you know what Im noticing here, that case isnt fitting as snug as the live round here", he says to me.
Now, here is a man who hasnt really shot or fiddled much with firearms in quite some time and when he did, he was more of a sporterizing c&r rifles he had bought for $18-30 to take on the hunt type of guy.
Well Il be danged!
He managed to figure out for me that the case/round we had loaded/shot was not a 7.62x39 round after all! As far as I can tell, with the case being all expanded and crap, this is a 223 or 5.45 round we put thru that barrel. =-O
I will try and post pics asap.
Now for the fun part. Who was the maker of said ammo we were shooting that day?!?!?
MONARCH!
Dang

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
If I read correctly, your friend loaded the ammo into the mag. How experienced a shooter is he?

A friend of mine let one of his friends shoot his Arsenal 5.56X45 AKM recently. I know the guy and he is not experienced but will not admit it. My friend also had a WASR 2 5.45X39 rifle and ammo there for shooting. Both of the rifles shoot from similar mags, AK74 types.

My friend had marked the 5.56X45 mags with red stripes but his friend despite stating he knew the difference, loaded the Arsenal rifle with a mag loaded with 5.45X39 ammo. Fortunately it would not chamber the round and jammed. My friend was not very happy, he even called me to comlain about it.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Did it look like this:

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Seen it a few times. Once at the Mason/Dixon shoot in Southern PA (near where flight 93 went down), a guys son was loading mags up for his Yugo RPK. He got about half way through the mag and had a light pop that sounded like a squib. Removed the mag and went to check the chamber...blown out case stuck in the chamber. A gerber and 5 mins later it was out. Fired and went downrange...just didn't eject the case. We all laughed a little because the stupid "they can use our ammo in their rifles" BS from the Vietnam area did ring just a little true....

·
Registered
990 Posts
A similar thing happened to a friend of mine and I while shooting P226s.
Similar concept I guess.
I have a 9mm and he has a 40. He grabbed my magazine from the table without realizing it and the same happened bam bam bam pffffffffff.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Basically blew up a Colt MkiV/70 series I had since '76 at Gunsite back in '04. No it wasn't a mint stock gun, before anyone says anything. It had gone through many changes over the years. Anyway, it was the last event of the last day and I was following myself in a man vs. man relay. I'm trying to hurry up and reload my mags and get back on the line when one of my fellow classmates yells out to me, "hey JR, you dropped this" and tosses me a round which I caught and immediately stuffed in the mag and then topped it off with two more rounds. Well, guess what? I found out the hard way (unknowingly) that you can chamber and fire a 40S&W round in a .45------but she don't extract. You can also chamber a .45 round right behind that chambered casing and fire it until that casing gets to the bushing! Well, didn't have a KABOOM thankfully, but obviously everything locked up and I reacted by trying a tap & rack almost flipping myself over at which point I noticed what appeared to resemble a twisted brass terd sticking out my muzzle! We had to cut off the slide stop to get it apart and found a slight bow in the slide and the dust cover had bent down and you could see a distinct crack in it. Barrel was split length wise top & bottom! Guess what caliber my classmate was shooting. Yup, a .40S&W Glock. Sorry about the long winded rant, but this thread gave me a flashback.:eek:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No mcnee, no cal numbers on case head, just 19 on top and an 87 below.
Not that I was trying to crap on Monarch as Ive shot a bit of this w/o any issues.
Also, as for my friend loading a different round, impossible as I had emptied out the new box of ammo myself.
Just wierd all around.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
About 4-5 years ago I took some Romanian friends shooting. All of them were novices. One of them had just bought a Remington 700 tactical. 18in barrel, rubber stock and let the dealer talk him into installing a flashlight mounted to the barrel :doh::twirl: . Anyway, I bring along my PSL (it being Romanian and all) and my Saiga 308. I set them apart together with the ammo. Saiga with 308 on the far left of the table and PSL with x54 on the far right. You cant get the 2 confused. I show them how to load, unload, aim, shoot, all the safety stuff...etc...etc..I watch them take a few shots, make sure they are loading the proper ammo...bla bla bla..After a few min I walk away a little to do my own shootings. While Im loading my mag I hear funny sounding shoots coming from their table and its steady, one after the other. I walk over and see one guy blasting away with the PSL using 308 ammo. :eek::mad:. He must have put a mag through it! I checked it over and all looked ok. Interestingly the PSL fed, fired and extracted the 308 each and every time.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
try this one:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts