AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched a YouTube video of Steve Hennessey driving one of his 'Vette's on an unopened Texas toll road. Pretty awesome. The fastest I've ever driven was about 135 mph. How fast have you gone?

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Damn dude, what were you driving?
I was a motorcycle drag racer for many years in the 80's...and a successful one at that. My last ride was a "lay down" style dragster as it was known. Powered by a Hilborn injected,
1428cc Kawasaki with a 3 speed air shifted transmission and burning nitro methane for it's fuel. Absolutely the most fun I have had my entire life.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Sound's cool. Bike's scare the crap out of me.
They demanded a very healthy respect then and now. Bikes are fun to ride if that is your thing, but you have to have an awarness of all things around you to stay safe.

·
Premium Member
13,069 Posts
Just watched a YouTube video of Steve Hennessey driving one of his 'Vette's on an unopened Texas toll road. Pretty awesome. The fastest I've ever driven was about 135 mph. How fast have you gone?
Can you post the link? Some of these new Vettes will impress on top end.

·
Registered
712 Posts
160 + .... don't know exactly as the speedo had been buried for a while and it only went to 160.

1973 Vette that I had built ... at dusk and saw a heard of deer ahead, hit the brakes just hard enough to nosedive and a deer's rear hoof broke my right pillar and windshield and passenger window as it jumped and I went under it. Didn't start shaking till a bit latter when I thought about what the outcome could have been coming through the windshield.

That was 30 years ago .... Only been over 100 twice since then, both times mid day on empty Interstate :eek:

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
I'm a chicken shit when it comes to pure straight line speed. I've gone about 115 on the bike....but it's not made for speed. The gravy is in the twisties and leaning all over the place. That's where I have my fun....

Although dirt is fun too...when 70 is considered "fast"...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Coincidentally, while driving a Hennessey Viper GTS on open road, I saw 165 mph (indicated). 180 mph clocked in a NASCAR racer on a banked oval. Speed can be awfully addictive and fun.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was a road trooper who drove a 1999 B4C police Camaro which was some of my most enjoyable times working the road. The ole pushrod 5.7 L V8 315 horse motor in a light car makes an awesome machine. Add the great handling and brakes and you have a true pursuit car. The catch time in a Camaro is significantly quicker than a typical marked full size car with 250 HP motor.

The B4C Camaro was not electronically speed limited as most cars are today. Depending on the wind a typical B4C would top out between 168 & 172 MPH. From a standing start to one mile the Camaro was capable of hitting 150 MPH so you actually didn't have to push the Camaro as hard as a typical police car.

For or me it was a great job, getting paid to drive fast and shoot with someone else buying the gas and bullets.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
130. My car is governed at that speed but it would still pull your head back at 120.

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
150mph a few years ago in a 02 Maxima 6MT modded with the bolt-on parts my company made (still does). I've ridden in cars going faster than that a few times, but that's the quickest car I've owned.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Fastest rides for me in this order:

V-drive hydro a Cole custom Keith black motor 2 speed linco trans. (?? just a blur) Worked for a shop that built and repaired drag boats mostly flat bottom v drives.
My 100 ci 6 speed chopper 150 mph.
Porsche 930 awd twin turbo Fixed it & the owner took me for a ride in it.
1983 Chevy Silverado Gale Banks twin turbo blow thur big block chevy removed from a wrecked off shore race boat.^^^^^
my 2010 R/T ram I have now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
~130 mph. That was 5k rpm in my big block '72 Barracuda I had at the time. She wanted more but I figured at that speed having the engine kill itself probably wasn't a good idea.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts