AK Rifles banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first attempt at a Romy kit build on a GT receiver. Kinda fun, like rebuilding a wrecked car. Little things learned - Be careful installing barrel back in trunion if you don't have rear tang in yet. I used a 1/4" all thread rod & nuts to suck the barrel back in. Didn't have rear of receiver braced good and could have ruined the rec. Caught that in time. Clamped rear tang in vise on my drill press. Slid rec. over tang to drill rivet holes. Started drilling, SNEEZED, jerked receiver and totally butched up one hole on right side of rec. No problem right? Wrong, I cannot expand rivet to cover edge on one side of hole. CRAP. This is where the #8 U- Drive screws saved the day. Ground head off bad rivet and drilled with a #27 bit. Hammered in drive screw looks great, but is a smidge larger than other 3 rivet heads. So I ground off the other rear tang rivet heads and used drive screws to match. I used a brass hammer so I could not screw this up. The shepards hook - screw that - I used 2 e-clips. Note : if you are going blind and have fat stubby fingers, a magnet stuck on the side of the rec. helps keep the clips from falling into the nether regions and will allow you to use a screwdriver to push the clips on. Finally applied some cheap bottle blue till I can test fire the beast and coat it properly. The GT receiver was great, very little fitting needed except for some minor burrs on the lower rails. Now I'm ready for the next build.
[/url]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts