AK Rifles banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
How could you say it's not special? It's a plum! It's funny to really think of the numbers. On our side of the pond, those were just the plastic stock kits that RGuns would sell for $450 a piece if you bought two. I could only afford one at the time, but I managed to pick up another later for $430 in an unopposed DrPepper auction on GB. The new hot thing in town was the '83 wood-furniture batch, with kits going for a premium of $650 instead. (Ok, sorry to bring up the prices again! That's the way things go. Can you believe people used to buy stuff for a nickel?)

All that's to point out that the late 70's and early to mid '80s rifles from the big military build-up were wood-stocked. The plum rifles, actually seem more rare to me, showing up from ~86-89 or so. The last couple years of AK-74 production could hardly be called plum since the plastic formulation took on a darker shade closer to the intended black, as seen on the AK-74M, and beyond.

I'm still a rear trunnion short of having the parts for my folder build, however, I actually spent some time over the last few days riveting the fixed-stock build together. Maybe I'll get some progress photos up in the next couple days. I don't have all the barrel work figured out, so the next part will take me a while I'm sure!

pp

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
How could you say it's not special? It's a plum! It's funny to really think of the numbers. On our side of the pond, those were just the plastic stock kits that RGuns would sell for $450 a piece if you bought two. I could only afford one at the time, but I managed to pick up another later for $430 in an unopposed DrPepper auction on GB. The new hot thing in town was the '83 wood-furniture batch, with kits going for a premium of $650 instead. (Ok, sorry to bring up the prices again! That's the way things go. Can you believe people used to buy stuff for a nickel?)

All that's to point out that the late 70's and early to mid '80s rifles from the big military build-up were wood-stocked. The plum rifles, actually seem more rare to me, showing up from ~86-89 or so. The last couple years of AK-74 production could hardly be called plum since the plastic formulation took on a darker shade closer to the intended black, as seen on the AK-74M, and beyond.

I'm still a rear trunnion short of having the parts for my folder build, however, I actually spent some time over the last few days riveting the fixed-stock build together. Maybe I'll get some progress photos up in the next couple days. I don't have all the barrel work figured out, so the next part will take me a while I'm sure!

pp
Wow great info!! When you put it that way now I want a fixed plum! Haha .

I only say it's not too special because around here, lately, this build seems as if it is par for the course! With @Vlado and other posting og barreled rewelds it feels as if this baby is just another 88!! A few days prior an 86 was posted which I haven't seen before!

I'm definitely grateful to own it and thankful for this strong community for all their help and guidance on this build.

Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow great info!! When you put it that way now I want a fixed plum! Haha .

I only say it's not too special because around here, lately, this build seems as if it is par for the course! With @Vlado and other posting og barreled rewelds it feels as if this baby is just another 88!! A few days prior an 86 was posted which I haven't seen before!

I'm definitely grateful to own it and thankful for this strong community for all their help and guidance on this build.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Forgive my ignorance... OG barreled rewelds?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts