AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an opinion (or fact) on whether or not some '77's came with a 45deg GB? I have "heard" they did, and Tantal's site seems to show that they did, but I'm attempting a re-creation, so any help in accuracy is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Both documented 1976's on my records have 45 dregee gas blocks. I have three 1977's on record, two have 90 degree gas blocks, the thrid one I'm not sure of now but I will check.

Since they don't wait until January 1st to make changes, we just will not know if they went to the 90 degree in late 76 or early 77. Even if there is a late 1976 with a 90 degree block, the timeline is probably too tight and would not allow for the traditional "transition period" so common in these firearms.

But in this case the timeline might have been tight. The 90 degree change was probably made quickly as compared to other more cosmetic changes, due to the discovery of the "bullet shear problem" with the HV round and the 45 degree vent. Unlike the Romanians (who deicded to go with a dual angle gas path) the Russians kept things straight and therefore the gas vent in the barrel and the gas port in the gas block always matched in angle. This meant a new gas block design.

When it was made is still a good question? Late 76 or early 77?

I plan to build a 77 with a 45 degree gas port because I have seen quite a few images of what I feel are 1977 rifles that have the later style rear trunnions with 45 degree gas blocks, although I could not verify the serials I think these were early 1977's.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Doug why not use the AKM stock trunnion?

I would also like to do a 77 AK74, just not sure what to do about a 45 degree gas block, how to make this work with the gas port on the AK74 barrel.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
jithaca said:
Doug why not use the AKM stock trunnion?

I would also like to do a 77 AK74, just not sure what to do about a 45 degree gas block, how to make this work with the gas port on the AK74 barrel.
That's what I plan to use, too, Jerry. A late AKM turnnion, same as early 74. My point was that they used both in 1977. They just don't stop/start this type of thing on January 1st, hehe. Just because we might see that they used Part B in 1977 does not mean they didn't still also use PART A.

They in fact used both types of rear trunnions on both types of barrels, which says a lot for transitions. That;s what i was tryign to explain.

In fact, I plan to use a later type front sight base with the side indents, a 45 degree gas block, and an early rear trunnion on mine. I have seen this all on one rifle a couple of times in photos, some right here on this excellent web site. I plan to use a Romanian barrel, Jerry. Unless you found me an un-drilled Bulgy? hehe.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
xcibes said:
But in this case the timeline might have been tight. The 90 degree change was probably made quickly as compared to other more cosmetic changes, due to the discovery of the "bullet shear problem" with the HV round and the 45 degree vent. Unlike the Romanians (who deicded to go with a dual angle gas path) the Russians kept things straight and therefore the gas vent in the barrel and the gas port in the gas block always matched in angle. This meant a new gas block design.

Do you mean to say that Romanian barrels are drilled at 90 degrees but the gas block itself is 45 degrees so the gas goes UP through the barrel and then takes a sharp angle back once it reaches the gas block?

YES.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tantal said:
That's what I plan to use, too, Jerry. A late AKM turnnion, same as early 74. My point was that they used both in 1977.

In fact, I plan to use a later type front sight base with the side indents, a 45 degree gas block, and an early rear trunnion on mine. I have seen this all on one rifle a couple of times in photos, some right here on this excellent web site. I plan to use a Romanian barrel, Jerry. Unless you found me an un-drilled Bulgy? hehe.
It sounds like you and I have a similar plan. I have a '77 AKM trunnion, RSB, and 45 deg gas block that I plan to put on a Bulgy barrel assy. If someone had said "No 45deg GB in '77" it would've made life much easier because I would simply use the Bulgy GB. Otherwise, I had planned to weld the gas-port and drill a new one for the 45deg GB. Good idea or no?

BTW, thanks everyone for chiming in.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Not sure if it's the best way, but in the past it has been done if the weld is very good. Some gunsmiths will tell you you need to thread the hole and add an insert, then do the weld. Remenber that the gas vent weld will not be in a location where it can be covered by the new gas block. It will be just behind the 45 degree block. Therefore the gas block will not reinforce the hole weld, or cover the weld if it looks bad. It would be best to machine it smooth.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
I need to re-look at a Romanian barrel, are there other issues with using this for a Russian build?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
EDIT: Just noticed that new barrels from K-Var come with the gas port drilled.

Romanian is looking pretty good.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts

You deffenitly need to plug the gas port & not just weld over it. Doug know's a master gun smith on the west coast, unfortunitly retired.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Only problem with the rommy barrel is the front sight base will need to be sleeved.

Brick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts