AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy one unopened no rust tin of 5,45x39mm military 7n6 ammo with clearly marked "76" date codes. This is for a magazine article photo display.

Businesses were swimming in "76"-coded 5,45mm not too long ago, judging by advertising images across the net, but I am having a hard time finding some dated 1976 now. Does anyone here know where I might find just one can?

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I'll be sure to take a look this weekend at my crates

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks!

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check with them.

It seems like the Russians are dumping all the oldest stuff now. Somebody on here even told me they bought a case dated 1975 just recently.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I'll check with them.

It seems like the Russians are dumping all the oldest stuff now. Somebody on here even told me they bought a case dated 1975 just recently.
1975?? wow. Wasn't '75 still in the prototype range?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have some 1975 dated metal crates and ammo from Uly and Barnual. i had a few 1975 dated 5.45 a while back. I never did figure out if the 1975 dated stuff still in the small scale production early days was real 7n6 or the mythical "5n7"

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1975?? wow. Wasn't '75 still in the prototype range?
Good question. Prototyping for the standard infantry rifle was pretty much over after it was adopted. They had to start making arrangements to quickly ramp up production of ammunition just as soon as the rifle design was officially type classified and issued a GRAU Index in 1974. The prototype phase was over and the AK74 went into the 'pilot production" phase. A small number of early styled rifles were made during 1975, although (as you correctly indicated) it took until 1976 for the factory to retool and re-organize for what we'd call series production in any serious manner. AKM production remained ongoing, which made things a little more difficult.

In any case, I'm sure a comparatively small amount of 5,45mm ammunition dated 1975 had to have been produced, since they knew they were gonna need it pretty pronto! I think it's easier to make factory alterations to produce a new ammunition round, than to produce a new type of firearm to shoot it, but I really do not know for sure? I do know they would probably never start to issue AK-74's in 1976 without having a great deal of ammunition, already easiliy accessible to units, in the army supply lines. Not the Soviets' anyways. I'm just surprised any of it might be left around these days, hehe.

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW, I've had zero luck with the big ammo companies. they either say they don't have it or they "cannot guarantee year" for me, which means they don't want to get out of their chair to look even though I have indicated the reason for my special request and even offered to pay quite a bit extra just for the service. Anyway, I think the only chance I have is to run across a member here with the right can (and kindness in their heart), or to accidentally run across a can at a gun show some day. It will be too late for the photo shoot by then, of course, but I guess it's not a big deal, anyway. :(

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hello Doug, I will look when I get home but I am pretty sure I have a crate of '76 Tula (539) ammo. Do you want to buy it outright or just want it to take some pictures and send it back to me?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, that would be great! Yeah, I'd like to buy it outright, especially taking into consideration shipping back and forth. Once you check the date, get back with me by PM on quantity and a price. I only need one tin, but I will buy a full crate if you want to let it go. I'd like to keep it since I own a 1976 Soviet AK-74, and it woudl eb great to have some ammo dated that year for collection purposes.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
sorry missed this thread Doug

got you covered in case something fails with the other guys.

A.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have an unopened crate and a empty crate too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts