AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a very unique rifle (kit) for an array of reasons, which I will cover below. 1975 Izzy "PLO" kit from 20+ years ago. A complete mixmaster, Israeli refurbed rifle before being cut up into a kit. Just a basic, war-used AK from a bygone era. Likely an Iraqi Army or Syrian AK that was siphoned into Palestine/Gaza sometime in the 70 or 80's and captured by Israel. I've seen another 1975 PLO kit that had Israeli capture date stamped on from 1979, so some of these guns did not last long before being captured. Will be re-welded.

By mid to late 1975, Izzy started converting to 22mm barrel journals. They were producing 23mm and 22mm AKM's simultaneously for a period of time until totally converting over by 1976. This is where this kit comes into the picture.

This is a 22mm barrel, with a 1st Generation cast gas block. This is kinda crazy to me. The 1st Gen's went into very limited use in 1969, peaked in 1971 and were made obsolete by late 1971. They appear sporadically on rifles up through 1974, and this is the first time I have ever seen one on a 1975, let alone a new 22mm rifle.

Jerry and I had a long discussion about this. We think when they set up the new assembly line for the 22mm rifles, they were given all available parts to supplement the new line. It appears this included using parts that had otherwise been passed-over for years by other factory workers, always choosing to use the current generation parts instead of using the old parts when given the choice. However, it’s more likely that they kept making Gen 1’s to some limited capacity past 71, having the molds on hand still. So, this rifle is a bit of an enigma in that regard and thats why I love it.

Other than that, it's clear this rifle had a hard life and well used.

-1977 bolt and carrier
-1973'ish arsenal refurbed + stamped, spring-loaded, lower hand guard.
-non-webbed rear trunnion
  • #0 FSB journal
  • unnumbered flared top cover

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Composite material

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Shotgun

Comparison between 1st and 2nd Gen Izzy cast gas blocks:

Gun accessory Composite material Wood Metal Shotgun

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle fork Material property Rim

Wood Office supplies Writing implement Air gun Gun accessory

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Metal Natural material

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Carbon Auto part

Rim Bicycle part Automotive tire Auto part Font

Wood Tool Musical instrument Hand tool Metal

·
Registered
651 Posts
Amazing kit. Having the Izzy first pattern cast gas block is unbelievable!
Love it.
What does the barrel journal measure for a #0 fsb?
I’ve seen 75 Izzy’s with the feed ramps. Were they on the 23mm barrels or just the 22mm?
Your going to need a hell of a good welder and a LOT of wire to fill the void between the front and rear stubs! Lol
What are you going to use as a donor section?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trying to measure it with my basic calipers, can't get a very accurate reading. 14.somethingMM.

This guy has a feed ramp.

Trying to decide if the rear trunnion is OG to this rifle. The patina and park is an exact match to the front stub, but its a non-webbed trunnion, something seen in 1972 for about a year before made obsolete. Granted, they still had leftovers, and if this rifle had a 1st gen block, then I wouldn't be surprised if they used other older spec parts.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The sexyness of the fixed stock t2 waist and ass far exceeds a toasty akm.

Also the outline/profile of a t2 is way more attractive.
Thats why I love AKM's. Because they look disposable with that thin, bended receiver. They look like guns that should have fallen apart 40 years ago, not performing flawless full auto dumps in the 21st century.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Disagree for sure. My next AK after a Russian AKM is a milled Yugo RPK blued by two rivers. The milled guns are prettier than stamped to me.
I just finished a milled M70 a couple weeks ago. My first, and probably only, milled gun (too much $ to do another). It is a sweet, sexy rifle and immediately replaced my old Romy 63 UF as my favorite. Put a new Wolff spring in it and it shoots like a dream.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just finished a milled M70 a couple weeks ago. My first, and probably only, milled gun (too much $ to do another). It is a sweet, sexy rifle and immediately replaced my old Romy 63 UF as my favorite. Put a new Wolff spring in it and it shoots like a dream.
View attachment 329343
I love that. If M72AB2 kits were plentiful, I'd definitely get a UF to round out my AKs (10" with a folder, 16" fixed stock, 21"+ with a UF). The grenade launcher sight is something pretty cool on the M70s you don't get on the RPKs though. Makes me think.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love that. If M72AB2 kits were plentiful, I'd definitely get a UF to round out my AKs (10" with a folder, 16" fixed stock, 21"+ with a UF). The grenade launcher sight is something pretty cool on the M70s you don't get on the RPKs though. Makes me think.
This kit was from Atlantic. I picked it up early last year, then had to save up a while for the Tortort receiver. Add in the barrel and the replacement cherry handguards, and it's $1000 worth of metal parts painted black, thus, probably the only one I'll do. lol. But damn, it sure is pretty.
I've got a Romy RPK kit in the closet to do one day. It's one of the side-folder "paratrooper" ones AoA had a few years ago. Seems like it was mostly numbers matching, too. It's going to be a cool rifle, only downside is it doesn't have the swanky cooling fins on the barrel like the Yugos do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got a Romy RPK kit in the closet to do one day. It's one of the side-folder "paratrooper" ones AoA had a few years ago. Seems like it was mostly numbers matching, too. It's going to be a cool rifle, only downside is it doesn't have the swanky cooling fins on the barrel like the Yugos do.
Gotta love the Yugo fins but the side folding romy RPK was a great buy. Ivan Drago is selling his last RPK side folder kit for $2000!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts