AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friends AKMSL. This is not a clone using Polish stocks and rails. It is a 100% original factory-built Russian AKMSL kit from 1973. The only known example in the states. The rail is very interesting, because the factory worker inscribed the wrong serial number on the rail by one digit and had to XXXX it out and re-do it. The rifle would have shipped with a scope originally, and the scope + rail would match serial numbers. Sadly, the scope is long gone. Rifle built by a well known AK builder on the forum, and I did the cosmetic work on the receiver.

-74ullc receiver
-Techno paint
-unobtanium AKMSL folding stock
-numbered rail
-original barrel

·
Registered
455 Posts
Your friend has one sexy rifle.

Reactions: Vlado

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Vary beautiful thanks for the pics!

Reactions: Vlado

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yeah, I know that a lot of you guys will hate me for this but what is the purpouse of weathering the gun which isn't even original (yes, the parts kit with removed heart of the gun is just something like franken AK, always)?

Isn't it should be just used and have orginal weathering rather than fake one?

This pistol grip scream to bo replaced.
The whole rifle looks sexy especially with this flash hider but there is something missing like NV scope.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No hate here but if the rest of the kit is weathered, I don't see anything wrong in weathering the new receiver to match. I've never been a fan of refinishing original parts unless absolutely necessary (ie: no finish left) and it'd look odd having a brand new looking receiver that doesn't aesthetically match the rest of the kit.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
No hate here either but I think a weathered firearm with a new shiny receiver looks like shit. To me if you are trying to pass it off as original it’s a sin. If you are trying to blend it in to match the rest of the rifle that is going that extra bit to make it closer to perfect. Of course, I totally agree an honest drug through the mud full auto AK would be best, but it simply isn’t possible in this country unfortunately.

Maybe this will help. My 77 OG Izzy. Not an original mount, one of Tantal’s that was force matched but the optic is attached.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I know that a lot of you guys will hate me for this but what is the purpouse of weathering the gun which isn't even original (yes, the parts kit with removed heart of the gun is just something like franken AK, always)?

Isn't it should be just used and have orginal weathering rather than fake one?

This pistol grip scream to bo replaced.
The whole rifle looks sexy especially with this flash hider but there is something missing like NV scope.
I'm not sure you understand what has been done with this rifle and what matching the finish on parts is all about. This is the reality for most kit builds in the USA, we have to use a new USA made semi-auto receiver. Some are lucky to have original cut receivers, which can sometimes be welded back together as semi-auto only.

But by all means, please buy me a ticket to Poland so I can come buy a real Izhmash AKM like I've seen there and post photos to make you happy :LOL:

P.S. Pistol grip is original to the gun, as is every other part.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I understand this but US laws makes my heart bleeds when I see original rifles cuts into pieces just to bo sold on US market where you are takeing from them parts to assembled them into new rifles.

IMHO it would be better to renew/refinish all the parts to make them looks like new rather fooling myself that I've got original worn rifle which isn't actually 100% original.

When I'm reading this forum and watching some news I think that you should save your money to buy a ticket to Poland if you want to live in normal place ;)

About pistol grip I'm not sure because it is 1973 made so it could be rather replaced during some repairs and also on the bottom of the receiver you've got a plate which is on AKM and this grip in this kit is interesting - I need to check in repairs manual if using AK grip into AKM pattern rifles was allowed.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We would be sickened to have that parts set refinished to new condition, and in the US would drop the value to less than half. Those long time in the AK collecting field in the US have been there, done that and are now sick that they did. Kinda like taking a Rembrandt painting and having some hack artist brighten up all the colors with first year artist paints, but to each his own.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about but if the gun would 100% original it was be a crime.
If you are taking only parts from it it is fooling yourself that you've got original one.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Can you own a functional AKM in Poland

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why I couldn't own a functional AKM in Poland?

I can own AKM with 3 holes in the receiver, I can own and I own open bolt guns here in Poland - just converted to semi auto as a collector/sport shooter but there are people who own them in fully automatic versions.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Wish we could own DEACT rifles in US. Prior to 1968 Gun Control Act, DEACT rifles were not an NFA item.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you own a functional AKM in Poland
"Currently only way to obtain working fully automatic firearm in Poland is via institutional or training permit. Blank-firing automatic firearms can be obtained for historical reenactment purposes. In 2018 Supreme Administrative Court ruled than they are dangerous weapons and cannot be issued for collectors despite law allowing it de iure."

Source - Wikipedia

1 - 20 of 70 Posts