AK Rifles banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
In '72 they transitioned to the side swivel and on these were serial numbered lower handguards believe it or not. I don't believe any '72 side swivel kits came in amongst the recent imports and all were void of numbered handguards as far as I have noticed. I was looking for one and wanted one very much like this one. So there's evidence that production criteria at times varied for short periods for some reason or another as an example of the lhg drain hole around '73 which was omitted for a short period. I love this rifle. Thanks for the detailed photos!

In '72 they transitioned to the side swivel and on these were serial numbered lower handguards believe it or not. I don't believe any '72 side swivel kits came in amongst the recent imports and all were void of numbered handguards as far as I have noticed. I was looking for one and wanted one very much like this one. So there's evidence that production criteria at times varied for short periods for some reason or another as an example of the lhg drain hole around '73 which was omitted for a short period. I love this rifle. Thanks for the detailed photos!
My '72 Tula side swivel. No serial on HG.
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Wood

Beautiful example of a transition year Tula! Neat mix of mid and late era parts. It has had a light refurbishment. Electropenciled serial on rear of TC has been crossed out and painted over then redone on left above the trunnion along with the replacement bolt is indicative of the refurb, though most of the rest of the rifle appears to be original paint.

The lower handguard with serial and spring is very unusual. I believe we have seen one, maybe two examples of that here on the forum. Yours was done just as they were transitioning and got both. The Tula proofs on it are quite nice. Very cool.

The milled donut hole rear trunnion mated with the side swivel stock is also unusual. I believe (could be wrong) that Tula transitioned to the cast RT the same time as the side swivel.

Again, beautiful rifle! Keep it away from checkpoints!!!!

My '72 Tula side swivel. No serial on HG.
View attachment 348701
Your handguard is a non front spring early one noting the reinforcement pin is forward (the pin was moved back to allow for the install of the later model front spring ones which occurred in '71). Your kit appears refurbished. The wood has been sanded and recoated with lighter non factory finish. The upper appears untouched, though. Hard to tell from photo. Seems these sometimes got different lower handguards than original. My '76 Tula came with an early Izzy refurbed lower handguard from Sauer Supply. The rest of the wood was original. You never know what surprise you will find when you ordered one of these, unless you picked one up on the market place. Any Tula proofs on the buttstock?

Your handguard is a non front spring early one noting the reinforcement pin is forward (the pin was moved back to allow for the install of the later model front spring ones which occurred in '71). Your kit appears refurbished. The wood has been sanded and recoated with lighter non factory finish. The upper appears untouched, though. Hard to tell from photo. Seems these sometimes got different lower handguards than original. My '76 Tula came with an early Izzy refurbed lower handguard from Sauer Supply. The rest of the wood was original. You never know what surprise you will find when you ordered one of these, unless you picked one up on the market place. Any Tula proofs on the buttstock?
You had me go take a look. I didn't end up using that stock set as it was pretty beat compared to the rest of the kit. I had a nice late Tula set that I ended up putting on it and toss this is the spare bin. Closer look it appears to be a Izzy
Brown Wood Amber Rectangle Wood stain
Brown Wood Material property Tints and shades Pattern

Brown Wood Natural material Wood stain Rectangle

What is on it now.
Trigger Wood Air gun Gun barrel Wood stain

Air gun Wood Trigger Wood stain Gun barrel

Beautiful example of a transition year Tula! Neat mix of mid and late era parts. It has had a light refurbishment. Electropenciled serial on rear of TC has been crossed out and painted over then redone on left above the trunnion along with the replacement bolt is indicative of the refurb, though most of the rest of the rifle appears to be original paint.

The lower handguard with serial and spring is very unusual. I believe we have seen one, maybe two examples of that here on the forum. Yours was done just as they were transitioning and got both. The Tula proofs on it are quite nice. Very cool.

The milled donut hole rear trunnion mated with the side swivel stock is also unusual. I believe (could be wrong) that Tula transitioned to the cast RT the same time as the side swivel.

Again, beautiful rifle! Keep it away from checkpoints!!!!
Donut trunnions went as far as '73 that I've seen. Rguns sold a '73 on GB years ago that had it.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Hey mechdane thought I'd share these pic with you. Not AK related. Got to visit Labanon a few years back...Actually a lot of years back. Sept '82 thru April '83.
View attachment 348732
View attachment 348731
Many thanks for sharing, sir! That was really a long time ago, I was about 3 years old back then and the war was still going on :) You should visit again, it's different now. Cheers!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
awesome.may i ask where do you buy these relics of history?if i only lived in a free country instead of conqured USA i would love to own these original beauties
Well, these are illegal guns so they're only available on the black market. The easiest and safest way would be through a network of people that one can build with time, I'm talking friends and relatives who are into guns who also happen have friends and relatives who are also into guns and so on, so by word of mouth. I'm saying the safest way because the possibility of something wrong happening is close to none and in many cases you would know the history of the gun you're buying and the person who owns it.

Another way would be to go to a dealer, but this is a risky business unless the guy you're dealing with is trustworthy, and you can only know that after a while and with experience, so there is a risk to take anyway :) Some of these people have connections with politicians and political parties and they can literally get you anything you want! And by "anything" I mean anything from rare and collectibles to new generation guns, from bolt action rifles to light machine guns and rocket launchers. Just show them the green stuff and there you have it :)

A friend of mine bought an RPG-7 a while back from one of those dealers, it looks really cool now in his Soviet display!

Cheers!

Well, these are illegal guns so they're only available on the black market. The easiest and safest way would be through a network of people that one can build with time, I'm talking friends and relatives who are into guns who also happen have friends and relatives who are also into guns and so on, so by word of mouth. I'm saying the safest way because the possibility of something wrong happening is close to none and in many cases you would know the history of the gun you're buying and the person who owns it.

Another way would be to go to a dealer, but this is a risky business unless the guy you're dealing with is trustworthy, and you can only know that after a while and with experience, so there is a risk to take anyway :) Some of these people have connections with politicians and political parties and they can literally get you anything you want! And by "anything" I mean anything from rare and collectibles to new generation guns, from bolt action rifles to light machine guns and rocket launchers. Just show them the green stuff and there you have it :)

A friend of mine bought an RPG-7 a while back from one of those dealers, it looks really cool now in his Soviet display!

Cheers!
Well, these are illegal guns so they're only available on the black market.so why are you posting pics of illegal guns?wont you get into trouble?

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Well, these are illegal guns so they're only available on the black market.so why are you posting pics of illegal guns?wont you get into trouble?
I wouldn't worry about it as I'm sure none of those "scary" guys are members of this forum :) Anyways, to explain a bit, these guns are almost in every home and it has become like a custom for the past decades to own guns. So the deal now is: (corrupt) officials: "hey citizen, we know you have guns and you probably need them to protect your home, keep them in there and we won't come to you". So basically, the (stupid and outdated) law does not allow owning military-type weapons but at the same time they can't just go on and knock on every door. There are also some country-specific (historical and cultural) characteristics and political reasons that fuel the matter of owning guns, something that is hard to explain and is certainly for another discussion forum :)

I'm just taking pictures of guns inside my home, and I'll be posting some more soon!

I wouldn't worry about it as I'm sure none of those "scary" guys are members of this forum :) Anyways, to explain a bit, these guns are almost in every home and it has become like a custom for the past decades to own guns. So the deal now is: (corrupt) officials: "hey citizen, we know you have guns and you probably need them to protect your home, keep them in there and we won't come to you". So basically, the (stupid and outdated) law does not allow owning military-type weapons but at the same time they can't just go on and knock on every door. There are also some country-specific (historical and cultural) characteristics and political reasons that fuel the matter of owning guns, something that is hard to explain and is certainly for another discussion forum :)

I'm just taking pictures of guns inside my home, and I'll be posting some more soon!
Great keep the pics coming.screw the government.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.